Rear Helper Springs

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by FirstEliminator, May 23, 2017.

1. FirstEliminator

FirstEliminator Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hey guys,

My 68 Colony Park sags quite a bit with the trailer. Even without the trailer and nothing in the back it still has the stance of a tug boat. It has air shocks which helps, but they bleed down after a while. Being this has rear coil springs, can anyone recommend a smaller helper coil that may fit inside the stock coil springs?

thanks,
    Mark

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Actually, air bags would be the solution. The air shocks--are they more than several years old? My Ranchero's air shocks also no longer hold air. But I know of only shocks with helper springs, and they are very hard on the shock mounts.

3. WagonKiller

WagonKiller Well-Known Member

I always use a longer heavier spring to take the brunt of the load OFF the shock tower. Then run low pressure in the shocks till you really need it. Air bags would be ok I am sure but I would still give it a new fresh spring.

4. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I always switched to a decent brand of air shock on any vehicle I used for pulling an RV. Put the air valve in or behind the rear bumper and just add or remove air.
    Don't overload the nose of the trailer.

5. Slidemanic

Slidemanic Well-Known Member

My '73 wagon has the factory rear automatically adjusting air shocks. Parts of the system weren't working,so when I got the new air shocks,I ran the pipes from the shocks to the rear bumper to a Schrader valve,supplied with the kit. Summit Racing was the source,and the shocks kit and the front shocks with coilovers were only $155.94. I am running 60 psi,and no more scraping that long overhang!