Radwood Austin is next weekend, 2/23/19

Discussion in 'Car Shows and Swap Meets' started by 81X11, Feb 15, 2019.

1. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Just a reminder that Radwood Austin is next weekend, 2/23. This is the first Radwood show ever here in Austin, and from what I'm hearing it's supposed to be quite an event. This is only for 80s-90s cars and bikes, and 80s-90's attire is suggested as well (my Atari shirt is waiting). I personally didn't even know what Radwood was, but it's apparently known all over the country and has a big following. Should be fun! https://www.radwood.co/

I do know there will be a number of wagons there, including MINE! Should be interesting!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Texas Mike

2. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Very interesting. I've never heard of Radwood before.
    I suppose it means that I am getting old when the era that I grew up in is now considered "retro".

81X11 likes this.
  3. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Radwood Austin 2/23/19 - Took both Roadmaster wagons and the 82 Camaro Z28 to Radwood Saturday, with Dad, Eddie, Tuck, Hunter, Lili, Joseph and Sabre.

First, this is a BIG album, and if you are expecting the usual 55-57 Chevy, 60s Mustang and Camaro car show pics....this is NOT that. This show was for cars from 1980-99 only. My buddy Laird and I both agreed that sections of this reminded us of walking through our high school parking lots in the early 90s. It was odd...and pretty great for us 40-something folks.

NEXT, I want to get the negative over with. This was the most poorly managed car meet I've ever attended. I understand this was the first Radwood in Texas, but we have AWESOME car meets here every month so we're a bit spoiled, many are free, and even the amazing Cars and Coffee events are usually cheap to enter and free for spectators, and when showing a car you at most have a 5-10 min wait to park once you arrive...
    SO this event, with a $30 per car entry fee, with one "free" passenger, and $10 spectator entry fees, took us ONE HOUR and TWENTY MINUTES once we arrived before we were parked. People were angry, cars began to overheat, folks got out of their cars in line and walked around trying to figure out WHAT was happening, and in all that waiting time not one Radwood representative walked around to give us any direction or information on what was going on. If we hadn't paid in advance I'm pretty sure we would have left. It was a pitiful way to start the event....

NOW that said, once we actually GOT IN to the show area, the show itself was great, with some amazing cars, great folks, hilarious period clothes, and the venue itself, in the trees along the Colorado River, was beautiful, and the sunny mid 70s weather was GREAT.

SO let's end on a high note...the show itself was a BALL. The pics tell the story of what an oddball event this was. I DO hope they have another Radwood Austin, but if they do that the logistics are better sorted. That said, it was a great day!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HERE is the FULL Public Facebook Album link to the 400+ car pics from Radwood: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10218347249183278&type=3

That was one of the oddest car meets I've ever attended!

-Texas Mike

4. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

I bet.
    Glad to hear you had a good time in spite of the issues.
    Thanks for sharing.

81X11 likes this.
  5. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It really was one of the oddest car meets I've ever attended....