Power steering control valve issue

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Paladin62, Jul 6, 2020.

1. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    If it counts for anything, my trip down TV memory lane included car references. And station wagons at that. By the early ‘70’s my dad was buying Ford products, so it was great watching all those fabulous Quinn Martin shows. Watched a Barnaby Jones the other night where a ‘74 totally loaded Colony Park pulled into the parking lot. Vinyl top, the whole schmere. Oh and Blackwalls.

2. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

No thanks, folks. I think, I'll just stick with Bullethole Head Broderick the alkie and the '57 Mercs

3. Paladin62

Paladin62 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I watch the whole show...no station wagons and only Fords... I enjoyed it though. Do I just go to youtube to see them?

4. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The BIG M for ‘57. America’s first production dream car designed straight out of Tomorrow!

5. Doghead

Once you watch a couple of them, the algorythems left behind should automatically connect you with other episodes, the next time you tune into a Youtube channel. They'll be listed on the right-side column.
    It seems, Foxeema has the handle on copyrights. Therefore, if you click on the following red button, you should automatically get connected to all episodes per e-mail app:

Click_Here.jpg

It looks like open season on '57s

6. Paladin62

Wagon Garage:
    I am slowly collecting components for the LS swap. I was gifted an accessory mount with an alternator and power steering pump on it. It puts the alternator on top on the right and pump below. I think it came off a truck.
    Anyway, my question is about the pump. It is the type that requires a separate reservoir. Also it may take power steering fluid whereas my system runs on transmission fluid. Does anyone know if the late model pump will work with the classic PS unit? What type fluid?

7. Doghead

I'd go with using transmission fluid, because the slave cylinder is of simple construction. If the seal eventually blows due to incompatability with the transmission fluid, which I highly doubt, you could always update the seal with one compatable with the modern fluid. Using power steering fluid in the modern pump could cause greater damage than doing it the other way around

8. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

The factory fill for all makers is ATF. So for the GM LS vehicles, it'd be Dexron VI. As for a reservoir, you'll just need a place to mount the reservoir, then run a hose between them.

9. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

It also needs to be PS return hose compatible. Anything else will swell up like a toad from the oil.

10. Silvertwinkiehobo

Sadly, that should go without saying, but doesn't. Look at late '80s Astro/Safari reservoir hoses, in case newer ones for these LS engines don't fit the bill.

11. Paladin62

Wagon Garage:
    When I first got the wagon I filled the PS pump with PS Fluid...that was a mistake. It started foaming/bubbling out and it took me a minute to figure out why. The cap says use Dexron...silly me!!

So, now that I have the right side mount, I'll start looking for the left side. My A/C unit has mounting brackets that came with the Vintage Air kit. I doubt that it can be altered to fit the LS.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  12. Silvertwinkiehobo

Did you reade Vetteman's write-up? He detailed what bracketry and alterations needed to be done, and I'm reasonably sure the 1960 and 1978 frames are not all that different up front.