Post ALMOST anything you want thread

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by Roadking41A, Feb 22, 2008.

1. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

In the early-1950s when the US Interstate Highway System was still yet to come, Walt Disney, who began planning to build Disneyland in 1948 decided to incorporate “Autopia” in the amusement park he was building at Anaheim, CA. This highway of the future ride was constructed at the new park and traveled by miniature two passenger self-propelled cars.

When Disneyland opened in July of 1955 modified versions of the prototype Mark I designed by Bob Gurr featured in the lead image transported the driver and a passenger along the “Autopia” roadway. The first image shows Gurr putting one of the the first prototypes through its paces during the testing phase.

Autopia3-1080x650.jpg

The steel tube and channel framed car was covered with a fiberglass body and propelled by a one-cylinder-rear-mounted-air-cooled gasoline engine fitted with a centrifugal clutch. When the gas pedal was released by the driver the brakes are automatically applied or could also be actuated by the side-mount hand lever.

Autopia1-1024x679.jpg

The fiberglass bodies where produced at Glasspar, a boat builder that also made kit car bodies in Costa Mesa, CA. The cars were assembled at Mameco Automotive Engineering in Newport Beach. Front, rear, and side mounted bumpers were added to the production models to help preserve the bodywork. Learn more about the Mark I cars and the “Autopia” highway at Undiscovered Classics.

Autopia5-1024x805.jpg
    Courtesy of The Old Motor.

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

There have been several iterations over the decades, but the underlying architecture is supposed to be about the same. And, I think after the first gas crunch in '73, the cars were converted to run propane or CNG. That I'll have to check on.

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Well hello there...so you think my warranty is about to expire, eh? Admittedly, the car is nearly two decades old. Bunch of schmucks.

IMG_20190718_115219.jpg IMG_20190718_115224.jpg

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

As for the Autopia cars, nope, they run on gasoline.

5. OrthmannJ

Seems to be the latest scam. I am constantly getting robocalls from what appear to be local phone numbers claiming the same thing. My truck is 23 years old. I think it's warranty has definitely expired, probly when William Jefferson Clinton was still president.

6. Silvertwinkiehobo

My Buick is 19, although it hasn't hit 90K yet. I'm certain the warranty was a taillight guarantee when I bought it.

7. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    They might have wanted to. But, it might have been risky to market the same car for the following year. It didn't seem to be a problem in the 40s and 50s, though.
    This is what your Galaxie should have had in it:

[​IMG]

8. Silvertwinkiehobo

Oh, don't I wish, now. But back then, I was just happy with the package tray and my Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars. Quick story: when my Grandpa Fred died, Mom and my oldest brother flew to Kansas; Dad drove the rest of us in the Galaxie, and in Wyoming, we hit a whiteout blizzard. Dad told us kids to watch out the back window for any approaching headlights.

9. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    As if dad would be able to do anything about it, unless he armed one of you kids with a Panzerfaust and a hammer for first breaking the rear window

10. OrthmannJ

That's a neat story Andrew, one of those life experiences that will stay with you forever. It makes me wonder, will anyone from present day look back on something similar that happens now and remember the car they were in?
    We all know cars used to have that ability to leave a mark because of what they were, each model and year was different. It was as if they had soul.
    I don't think you can say the same for most cars made today. I can just hear a person 30 years from now recounting a story saying "and we were in Dad's white car. Remember that one? It was the one he had after the silver one and before the grey one."

Silvertwinkiehobo likes this.
  11. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    I first suspected Humphrey Bogart was moonlighting as a testdriver for go-karts

Silvertwinkiehobo likes this.
  12. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
  13. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Lighting a joint using an aerosol can full of perfume could lead to 3 unwanted haircuts. Kids, don't try this at home

14. Silvertwinkiehobo

What, did the backseat dumb@$$ spray the can for a minute before lighting it? That flame propagation was across a whole bunch of fuel. And the driver's hair instantly ignited; was he using pomade? His Fop turned to F'up...

15. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    The uneditted version is even more dramatic. I'm hesitant to post the link, though. It's not exactly family. But, I'll share it upon P.M. request. As the film went on, all of them were screaming like queens. I'm guessing that they were taking turns with hair spray. I can't imagine anyone in their right mind spraying that stuff with the windows rolled up