Panel truck eye candy - Give us some

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by Hanswurst von Plumpskloh, May 10, 2013.

1. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

Swirlies frozen custard stand in Manassas, Virginia which is right where the local cruise in is located, has two of these 1961 Ford ice cream trucks.

[​IMG]

This school bus occasionally shows up at the local cruise in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then theres this Divco truck that Milwaukee Frozen Custard parks in front of its stores in northern Virginia.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  2. Hanswurst von Plumpskloh

Hanswurst von Plumpskloh Prisoner of Foo

I'm sure, if we had schoolbusses like those back then, there would have been no such thing as playing hookey.
    Those Divcos were around, when I was a kid. It used to look like the delivery man would stand up while driving those things

3. Eagle Freek

Eagle Freek Well-Known Member

Many of those old vans were designed to be driven while standing up. They were originally know as multi stop vans but here in the states Step Van has been used the most to describe them. Kind of like Kleenex is used for tissues.

4. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yup. That's what my dad did - he was a milkman. He had two types of Divco's - a smaller one with a single wheel rear axle, and a larger one with duals on the rear. The small one had no seat at all. Very tricky to drive, as I think it was a column manual shift. The larger one had a seat that was spring loaded to fold forward against the steering wheel when it wasn't occupied. Floor shift on this one.

5. Hanswurst von Plumpskloh

I was hoping you guys would tell me bedtime stories about over-engined schoolbuses, instead. Where am I supposed to get my nightcapper, now? :(

6. Hanswurst von Plumpskloh

Cassar's dad used to drive one. But, I don't think it was his. They were one of those Addam's Families from across Nakota Rd. I think there were 4 brothers. I never heard that there was a mom or a sister. If they didn't all look like the Marx brothers, I could have suspected that they stored any sister in a closet or something. They used to do weird things like that, back then. They probably used to go out and strip houses of their wiring and throw it into a barrel to burn off the insulation or something or stal car radios. Imagine feeding 4 kids as a milk route employee.
    Then you had the Hughes whose story is quite too offbeat to mention here. His younger brother used to eat dirt, because of suffering malnutrition. I won't go into detail.
    We'd have both extremes. The neighbors 5 houses away were notorious WASPs. Their kids were always well-dressed and snotty. There were 2 kids and one got the impression their daughter would hit you on the head with the sprinkler, if you got too close. I used to imagine their house was as antiseptic as a hospital. My sister used to go play nextdoor at their neighbors who were certainly an Addam's family. They always had these mean little dachshunds and I had the impression that everyone in that family just did their own thing. I never dared to approach their front door for fear I would be stepping into a minefield of dog poo. In fact, it seems the dogs were their real kids and the kids did their own thing. My sister used to play with their son who would always get new pets. It turned out that they all didn't live long. His backyard lawn must have looked like Swiss cheese, because he would bury them all back there. I, of course didn't dare tread.
    I liked driving in their black 59 Ford, though. Sometimes I would hitch a ride to elementary school in Winter.
    To be continued tomorrow

7. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Krash Kadillak [​IMG]
    Yup. That's what my dad did - he was a milkman. He had two types of Divco's...

????????????:49:??????????

I don't even want to know how 'My dad drove>>>>> to WHAT are you talking about? Ever heard of counseling etc??

........save the "To be continued tomorrow' for another forum, like the kind of forum you got your hide the hampster ad from........REALLY and PLEASE!

The boss 'Wagonmaster' can online rip a strip off of me for this post, but you....

WTF?????

High jacking a thread is one thing, but......WTF is this....???

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  8. Jim 68cuda

....and we now return you to our regularly scheduled program.

This 1948 Fiat Topalino panel showed up at the local cruise in at Manassas, Virginia this evening.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

10. Jim 68cuda

66 Dodge Town Wagon

[​IMG]

11. Hanswurst von Plumpskloh

Yeah, they just dropped me off in the wagon they took me with. The jacket was too tight for using the laptop.
    After having hijacked my own thread, I thought I'd get nice and say something good about milktrucks. This particular one even seats the source of the milk :drink::

[​IMG]

12. OrthmannJ

13. OrthmannJ

14. OrthmannJ

15. OrthmannJ