Painting woodgrain over old decal?????

Discussion in 'Woodgrain' started by patrick80, May 25, 2013.

1. patrick80

patrick80 Wagonista!

Wagon Garage:
    On the '91 Colony Park, the driver's side wood looks like crap, and the passenger side looks better. The tailgate is the best, but it's still pretty worn. Has anyone tried the waterborne paint technique OVER existing woodgrain? I figure the worst that can happen is it'll look like crap, and I'll have to strip it and the decal off, and start again. Even a crap attempt on the driver's side would be an improvement, since the PO used spray paint to cover over where he had partially stripped the decal. Ideas???

2. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I've never owned a wagon with woodgrain. I always thought they looked great. Now if I get a chance to buy a later model wagon I will try to get one without the woodgrain.
    As for your crappy woodgrain I don't see what would be wrong with attempting to cover it with a crappy wood grain paint job or even more crappy woodgrain. Adding crap to crap can not look any crapier. or can it? :rofl2:These are professional terms used professionally. (y)

3. 1963CountrySquire

1963CountrySquire Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Woodgrain for Wagons

I will recommend T/A Truck Painting & Graphics
    Brandon
    tagraphics@sbcglobal.net
    262-691-1410

Brandon did a lot of work trying to match my 1963 Ford Country Squire wood grain -- both the dark vinyl and the light trim. It looks fantastic! Seeing this man work makes me think that he can do almost any kind of wood that you would like. Tell him John with the '63 Squire recommended him.