New used shop equipment I scored

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by 1tireman, May 10, 2019.

1. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hey everyone, don't get to come on as much as I use to. I started a new job at the end of January and been pretty busy with it. I have been enjoying driving my wagon a couple days a week to work, had to put new tires on it. The old ones only had 15,000 miles on them but time slipped away on me and they were 7 years old and had to go. My dad and I still tinker in our shop around the house, seems we are just getting slower but I was just so excited about the tubing bender I got for the shop and had to share. I wanted one for awhile but never could justify spending much money on one but the opportunity presented itself at my new job.
    I work at 2 diffrent shops, one in New Orleans, Louisiana and the other in Picayune, Mississippi. The one in Mississippi had equipment sitting in the corner taking up space. I was sent there to help get the store organized after it was left in disarray from a manager that wasn't managing and told to fix, sell or junk that equipment not being used. They have 3 broke tire balancers, older but working Coats rim clamp tire changer, 2 portable alignment machines and a pipe bender. I told the owner I wanted to buy the tire changer and tubing bender. He asked how much the bender was worth and I told him I would look it up. After looking it up, I figured I didn't want to spend even a couple thousand on it but it was worth more than I thought and told him. He decided to sell me the tire changer and pipe bender (throw in the pipe and mufflers left there) for $750!!!!
    I told him I couldn't but he insisted, told me when he hired me he didn't know what to expect but was happy with me and wanted me to consider it a deal and sign on bonus for working for him! I told him today I would try to sell the 2 alignment machines for him and was surprised when I told him what they cost.
    FB_IMG_1557440202983.jpg FB_IMG_1557440219841.jpg FB_IMG_1557440188260.jpg

ModelT1 and Poison_Ivy like this.
  2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Oh, nice score! It just pays to be honest to other honest people! That pipe bender will pay for itself if it stays working for a long time. So Mazel Tov, it's a boy! here's to that machinery doing great things, without trouble or headaches!

1tireman likes this.
  3. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    THAT is a great example of employee appreciation, and a job well done by you to earn that deal. Congrats.

1tireman likes this.
  4. BillT

BillT Well-Known Member

Nice equipment there.

I just replace the rear tires on my truck as well. One side was a little too worn and I didn't want to press my luck at inspection. Why I am mentioning this? They were 15 years old. Still looked pretty good for their age.

I also have a Coats Tire Machine. It's an old 10-10 that still works fine. It's how I mounted my tires above.

5. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Actually, those expiration date codes on tires mean little and are just guidelines of which inspectors take seriously. If you store tires properly, before mounting, they'll show no signs of biologoical aging

6. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

Germany's largest U.S. Army serplus depot is offing the following Snap-On tire changer. The price seems high. But, he'll bargain down. I think, if it's set up for export, the 19% sales tax would be subtracted. He needs the room and likes to keep things moving. If anyone's heading to Europe to buy up cars anyway, this would fill in container space:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Snap-On-Tir...351079?hash=item2ef580bf27:g:wB0AAOSwzaJX-6pV

[​IMG] [​IMG]

If you add this Continental to your purchase, you'll certainly get a good package deal. It's been sitting around for a while also, evidently. This is the last of the highest horsepower versions, being a '66. Bolting on an aftermarket Marauder-type tri-Power Edelbrock aluminum manifold would make this ship scream

https://morlock-motors.de/produkt/1966-lincoln-continental-4-door-sedan/

[​IMG]

It looks complete, under the hood

[​IMG] [​IMG]

It also looks like a desert car. Again, sales tax deduction possible. Even with it deducted, the price still seems high for an unrestored examle missing some interior parts. He always starts high on his prices. 8 grand for both this and the tire changer I'm guessing would be reasonable. Bring a trailer and flash cash on his desk.
    Incidently, everything on that property's for sale, despite it not being listed on his website

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    1tireman likes this.
  7. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I ended up with a second tire machine and two coats balancers. They were serviced 3 weeks before I bought them but the owner wanted to get new machines so I bought them from him. Once he decides to do something there's no changing his mind, it usually works out in my favor but we were perfectly fine with the machines I now have. He even decided to sell the 2008 GMC cargo van they delivered tires between the 4 stores with. We had 2 trucks and 2 vans and only 2 drivers so he decided to keep the trucks. He asked me if I wanted to buy an old worn out van for $250.00, I said sure without even knowing it was our delivery van. We serviced it regular, put new tires on it 6,000 miles ago and used it up until I bought it. Has over 400,000 miles on it but runs great. My dad has used it for his work since I brought it home and cleaned it, probably hadn't been cleaned since 2010.
    Before and After pictures
    FB_IMG_1599081172391.jpg FB_IMG_1599081182579.jpg

ModelT1 likes this.
  8. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Hey 1Tire. Good to hear from you. Looks like you're making hay while the sun shines.

1tireman likes this.