New southern member

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by gaiamon, Apr 10, 2017.

1. gaiamon

gaiamon New Member

Greetings everyone! I've just been looking so far, and a bit reluctant to say anything, or tell of my sad story about my vehicle. But first a little about me. I'm a Permaculture teacher/activist,rural homesteader in the uplands of West Central Georgia. Whew, and there are many classic vehicles in these parts.
    I've been an admirer of old school vehicles, esp wagons since my younger days, and currently I own a 1986 crown vic country squire wagon, and as well a 1982 honda civic wagon. The sad part is that my Country Squire is not driveable;due to what seems to be a sabbotage from a mechanic. In brief the wagon ran find, but had a oil drip from front seal. It was sent to the machanic, and this problem was corrected, but one week out of the shop, a rod was thrown through the top of side of my oil pan! Other person in this business for over 60 years stated that this is really unusual for Country Squires, and support the supicion of the tampering.
    Well, at this point I'm trying to either find a 5.0/302 engine to replace/and or find another beautiful Country Squire. I really love the beauty of these wagons and the many tasks that I can do with them.
    I think the intro say's that I cannot advertise untill I have a set number of posts, so I will continue looking for a Squire, and maybe work out a trade for that Honda wagon.............Namaste' Gaiamon

Bowman13 and fannie like this.
  2. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the forums! Hope you find a solution for your situation. You can go to the for sale thread and maybe find something there? Longroofs Rule!

3. Eagle Freek

Eagle Freek Well-Known Member

Welcome, sorry to hear about your troubles. There is a chance that if the mechanic improperly removed or reinstalled your crankshaft damper, that he may have damaged the thrust bearing and caused the rod to be thrown. Another scenario is that the front seal leaking was a symptom of a bad thrust bearing which caused the failure of the rod when it came in contact with the block. However, those are slim chances. I know there are some shady mechanics, but I can't think of something he could have done on purpose to make the rod break. Usually hydrolocking causes a broken rod either by ingesting water into the intake or via a bad head gasket or a stuck injector overfueling the cylinder.
    I had to Google Permaculture. I recently purchased 23.66 acres that is mostly wooded and nowhere near flat and would like to figure out how to grow some food on it some day, just in case.

dennis likes this.
  4. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the forum. Good luck on your project.:Welcome:

5. gaiamon

gaiamon New Member

Wagoninsane, thanks for the welcom......And you are righttttttttttt, long roofs rule!

dennis likes this.
  6. gaiamon

gaiamon New Member

ModelT1, thanks for the invite, and the bit of good luck...

7. gaiamon

gaiamon New Member

Eaglelfreek, thanks for the reply, and I'm taking it all in....Very glad that you took notice of "Permaculture" and looked it up. And about that lack of flatness, there are many opportunities to be had with these type of land holdings. Hey and don't wait for someday to plant food, but do it now, by beginning a "food Forest", and thus planting many fruit and nut trees, and others. And in your research, do come to understand that "Permaculture" is a design system for a way of living, and not just gardening......Peaceeeee

8. AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Welcome gaiamon!

9. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Back when my wife's sister and husband had a 40 acre farm consisting of gulleys and steep hills they called it a farm. Somehow they raised a flock of children, cows, hogs, strawberry's, tomato's, and animal feed. They also sold firewood and mushrooms in season. This was in central Illinois.
    A company famous for large yeller equipment bought all the land around so they got a decent deal. Under the old farmhouse was a very early piece of local history. The cabin and all contents are now at a wild life preserve.
    You never know what you may end up with on a little house on the prairie or in the hills.
    Also plant lots of fruit and nut trees along the way. You may go down in history as another Johnny Applesauce or have an angry orchard..

dennis likes this.
  10. Eagle Freek

Eagle Freek Well-Known Member

I've got tons of Hickory trees and other nut trees, but haven't identified them all yet. I do have a little creek running through the middle of it, but the terrain is a bit steep getting down to it. I'll have to do some more research on Permaculture, but i've got a brown thumb.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back on subject, what shape is your wagon in besides the hole in the block? Is it worth installing a used engine into it? Fortunately, there are a lot of donors you can get an engine from.

dennis and ModelT1 like this.
  11. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome gaiamon! I too had to look up permaculture . Sitting with my mother in law who is visiting from Aragon, Georgia. (Northwest corner) I read her your post and she laughed and said "the only "perma" in the culture of Aragon is the meth labs." I learned something today, it happens a lot on this forum. Sorry about your wagon! I agree with eagle freak in that it might not be the shops fault but an unfortunate coincidence. Bummer none the less. Hope you get back on the road soon! Good luck!

ModelT1 and fannie like this.
  12. gaiamon

gaiamon New Member

Hey there AK27.......My fingers on the keyboard wanted to keep hitting AK47(LOL)!

Grizz likes this.
  13. gaiamon

gaiamon New Member

Grizz, thanks for the invite, and I'm glad that you learned something from the post, tho I'm not sure if the moderator of this board wants us to be talking about things outside of vehicles, but to me it's all related.

14. gaiamon

gaiamon New Member

Eagel freek, mon what beautiful land! And with many many opportunities for your designs already there.The value to you and other with the nut trees alone is very significant. And remember that Permaculture is a living design system, and gardening is just one aspect/ and various technique. So don't worry about that brown thumb, for the majority of the mission is from the mind and on paper.

And yes the wagon is in shape for another engine...But when you say a hole in the block, I'm not sure that this is the case, because the hole that was made the size of my pinkie finger tip, is punctured at the top of the oil pan about some inches down from the oil pan screws. The wagon still cranks, but of course with a ratteling sound.... I've been thinking about just making a trade with someone that has a wagon in excellent shape; as I would like to enjoy again the pleasure of driving the beautiful Country Squire before leaving for the next space and time. When I find the right one, and if there is trading, then I'll be trading the 1982 Honda wagon/and or a "Can Ham" scotty trailer, or my big boy 1973 Airstream land yacht.
    Hey I hope we don't make the moderator angry, with our talking about land use design systems...........Peaceeeeeeee

dennis, ModelT1 and Grizz like this.
  15. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Hey, we talk about everything. A lot of the folks on here are older and tend to ramble on from one subject to another. :rofl::drool:One minute we can be talking about restoration project and the next thing you know we've covered the national weather report and the best place to buy king cake in Louisiana!!

ModelT1 and fannie like this.