New CT member

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by millsy, Feb 16, 2017.

1. millsy

millsy Well-Known Member

Hi I love station wagons and have been on the look out to buy one but I have only seen 2 around my area (Naugatuck) that reminded me of when i was a kid riding in my dads wagon. My dad had a Dodge Diplomat and a Ford LTD wagon. I asked him the years and he said 1970 and 1965 but i dont think the 1965 is correct. His memory is shot and we dont have any pics of them. He gave me the Dodge Diplomat when i was in High School and me and my buddies painted it up with GreyHounds on each side and a bunch of other school related things and there is a pic of it in the yearbook. It was a true PARTYWAGON and me and my friends did alot of fun and semi illegal things in there and it also served as the shaggin wagon lol. So all my memories of those wagons were great. I tried to buy one in Waterbury some years back, the sellers dad had just died and he was very attached to it and at the time i thought he wanted too much for it and i didnt have a garage for it but i regret it now. Last night i saw a nice older station wagon at Amity Highschool but it was raining and sleeting so i couldnt leave a note. Hey mayb the owner is on this forum. I am a car and bike guy and right now own a 2009 Corvette and a brand new BackDraft Cobra that i will pick up once the weather turns. I also own a 2010 Triumph Tiger so I love speed but there is something about a station wagon with the wooden sides that gets my car juices going LOL. i have been lurking for alittle while and decided to introduce myself. Hopefully i will get a chance to own one soon so i can bring the family camping and to the drive-ins like my dad did with me.

2. millsy

millsy Well-Known Member

My wife found some pics of the dodge diplomat and i think it was a 1984/1985 model since i drove it in 1990 in highschool. Remember i was a kid when i did this and the car was on its last legs. I played football so this wagon was done up for the big game/rivalry against Ansonia that is still the best football team in our state till this day

Attached Files:

dennis likes this.
  3. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Welcome aboard Millsy.
    Good luck in your search. Hopefully your looking will pay off and you will be able to find the right car for you.
    Keep us posted.

dennis likes this.
  4. goatless

goatless Pontiac Man

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome, Millsy. I'm not too far away from you- in Newtown. There are a few wagons around the area. I just looked real quick and there are a couple listed on Specialinterest.com There is a '76 Torino wagon that looks promising, and at a nice price.

dennis and millsy like this.
  5. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :wave: Nice to meet you, :Welcome: aboard.

millsy likes this.
  6. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Oh millsy, that poor wagon:yikes: don't feel bad. I totaled a few gems in my day too.:rofl2:its what makes you appreciate the little things! It took me about a year and a half to find the right wagon surfing on Craigslist! Cool pics, although I get the feeling that we aren't seeing the whole picture. Did you crop out the young fellas posing with long hair and left handed cigarettes?:evilsmile:

dennis and millsy like this.
  7. AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Welcome millsy!

millsy likes this.
  8. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome millsy. Good luck. Just yesterday our oldest son was over with the grandbaby. As he tied her into her padded car seat he commented how he remembers him, his brother, and sister riding in the way back of our station wagon, playing and having fun being free to roam and slide from side to side.
    I believe they came out okay and don't seem too retarded from bumping their heads. Modern safety items are great but so are memories of a simpler life.

Grizz, dennis and millsy like this.
  9. millsy

millsy Well-Known Member

Looked on the site but didnt find a 1970 Ford torino station wagon, do u have a link or maybe it is gone all ready.

10. millsy

millsy Well-Known Member

Sorry it is a 76, my bad. Thanks for posting that website, i will bookmark it. I also emailed Amity Highschool to see if that stationwagon belongs to a teacher since i doubt it was a students. Hopefully they will pass my info on to the owner in case they want to sell it. Hopefully i will see it again so i can leave the owner a jote but i have gone there about 20 times and have never seen it before.

11. millsy

millsy Well-Known Member

The hunt continues, I saw the station wagon again at Amity Highschool today and left a note to say Im interested if the owner ever wants to sell it. It was Ford Country Squire LTD Wagon, i would guess late 80s and in really nice condition, fingers crossed. I never had to hunt down a car before but it has been pretty enjoyable.

12. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the forums Millsy! Check out the wagons for sale,craigslist link there's a 1971 ltd for sale. Good luck with your search for that elusive shagging wagon! Longroofs rule!!! wagoninsane

millsy likes this.
  13. millsy

millsy Well-Known Member

There are still really nice people out there! The owner of the station wagon i left the note on contacted me today. She was very appreciative of the nice things i said about her wagon. She said she is not ready to sell it now but her family wants her to sell it. Im not sure why BUT she said i can take it for a cruise and when she sells it i will have first dibs. I am going to bring my wife and 6 yr old son who has only seen one real station wagon which is this one. I am trying to set up a time and day now. I will update after the ride. She said it is a 1990 Crown Victoria LX Country Squire.

dennis likes this.
  14. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the forum, Millsy.

That 1990 Ford Country Squire would make an excellent choice for a classic station wagon. It's iconic for one thing, being a Ford nameplate since 1950. The LAST Country Squire was 1991. Built on the well-received 'panther' platform, that '90 Squire should be a reliable, fun ride for your family.

Marshall

15. millsy

millsy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, I cant wait to meet the owner and find out about the car and also why her family wants her to sell it. The best case scenerio is she decides to sell it to me and we can get a deal done, the worst case scenerio is me and my family get to meet a cool women, we get to ride in a cool wagon and have an awesome story to tell for the rest of our lives, its a win win.