Need some help removing Rear window motor and regulator on 1989 Ford LTD Country Squire

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Micah_Ticah, May 21, 2019.

1. Micah_Ticah

Micah_Ticah New Member

Hi folks, new wagon owner and forum member here.
    Just got a Country Squire a few weeks ago, and the rear power window doesn’t work at all.

I’m getting some help from my dad who owned the Mercury version of this car back in the 90s, and he says the motor and possibly the regulator need to be replaced.
    However, I don’t have a clue how to get them out, and I can’t really find anything online that says how to do it.

How am I supposed to get them out?

2. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome. You have a good Wagon there. You should be able to unscrew the tailgate from the inside and get to the regulator and motor.

Micah_Ticah likes this.
  3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

The best and fastest way to remove the motor and check that the regulator is not stuck, is to drill three holes in the inside panel, 7/16" diameter or bigger, in the inner steel panel. That allows you to unbolt the motor and disengage the gears enough to see if the regulator will move up and down. If it does, then you can check to see if the motor will turn without a load on it, etc.

Micah_Ticah likes this.
  4. Micah_Ticah

Micah_Ticah New Member

Would you happen to have any pictures or reference I could look at to see exactly where I’m supposed to drill the holes at?
    It’s pretty hard for me to see inside the door to see where I should be drilling the holes at.

Sorry for the late response, by the way, been pretty busy. Thanks for the information.

5. Micah_Ticah

Micah_Ticah New Member

Mine is a 1989 model, by the way.
    Not sure how I failed to mention that already.

6. Silvertwinkiehobo

Unfortunately, unlike the doors, the moron engineers neglected to put locating dimples in the sheet metal. Member Leadslead is having to do the same thing to his recently-acquired '88, and it's tough to get them right where they're needed. I remember having to wallow out the holes with a 1/2" drill bit and half-inch drill, which tried its level best to rip my wrist joints apart.

7. siemensnek

siemensnek Member

I read this story yesterday and not sure they really gonna do it. When they axed sedans theyre left with... Mustang, SUV/CUV & trucks?

8. Silvertwinkiehobo

????? Are you sure you have the correct thread? This simply involves the changing of a tailgate window motor. And, Micah_Ticah, I hope you were able to change your motor out. I ended up getting flown out to Texas, for my birthday, by Leadslead and his wife, and one thing we accomplished was changing the motor on their '88 wagon "Annie" by drilling the requisite holes and swapping the motors. If you still hop on here, please chime in, and let us know if you accomplished the swapout on yours.