My Highway Star

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Johansson, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Johansson

Johansson Well-Known Member

Since september 2017 i have drove about (odometer now 56000 miles 1600 miles and nothing have happend.
    Bored? oh no, the old battery died at super mall parking lot. It was walking dist. to a car dealer.
    My wife complaind about gasoline smell -- the 46 year old fuel pump had a small leak, I managed to change it.
    While finding out that I have shore grip rear transmission with 2;76 ratio, I spotted a stream of oil on the left rear wheel. A car workshop help me out and change the transmission oil as well. (with wagon on idling and drive in gear). Well I also had to pay a bill on 1800$ repairing rust/plastic bond in the rear left wheel house.
    Dodge had this practical place to put the gas tank up here, and to drop the tank you most drop the HOLE leaf
    spring set up..... I also change the spark plugs a walk in th.. wait, the 8th plug left nxt the torpedo was invisble
    I was lying under the Monaco several days and maked me a tool too fix it from above.

OK, this was the Blues, now for the Rock -- What A Mighty Machine on the High Way!!!
    60-75 or 90 MPH is just pure satisfaction. Feeling the kick down power going up a steep hill and feel the 3rd going in on the top, that`s makes it all worth.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    Eagle Freek likes this.
  2. Thirsty islander

Thirsty islander Well-Known Member

Sounds great glad your able to restore and drive it at the same time

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

It certainly is a labor of love. I'm glad to read you are enjoying yourself out on the road.

4. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

It is certainly a labor of love, but as you put it so well, it is definitely worth it. I'm glad you are enjoying your wagon Johansson.

5. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    I’ve never heard of doing it this way. Enlighten me please?

6. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Johansson
    always get a kick out your posts, thanks for sticking around.
    so what's it like to drive a huge American wagon around in Europe? Your have to get a ton of question's and comments

Grizz likes this.
  7. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

I bet it gives him an immense amount of pride. I know it would if it were me.

8. Johansson

Hi! This transmission oil change is like a oil-flush. out comes the dirty oil and after about 12qt the tranny is clean.
    OK - this is the how to (Volvo V70); First out with the ventilation plug. Now up with auto mobile, so the wheels can spin free. Then off with the oil plug. now comes the dirty oil. Then you put in like 2 qt off oil and start the engine (beware off a lot of oil
    coming threw, continue to fill the tranny with oil. Then in with the Drive now will the rear wheels turn, and at the same time pour transm.oil in the tranny.
    After this technical You put in Reverse, and do hole operation all over again.
    Not really done; go for a test ride, at home you take away the tranny oil plug. If the oil is clean and flows easily its ok.
    KIM

9. Johansson

Hello! Now I`m the one enlightened up. When I picked up my stw up today from the service I asked the Boss specific about the transmission oil change handling. The `oil-flush´ way are only for Volvo´s ! You need a computer with a program that manages the oil change (the mechanic can only sit on a chair and look). So my Dodge tranny oil+filter was change the normal way.
    Have nice week end my friend, KIM

Grizz likes this.
  10. Silvertwinkiehobo

Late-model Volvos and VWs both use the scan tool to do the transmission flush as well as set the fluid level. It's a royal pain, having to tell a customer their vehicle's transmission service has to be done by the dealer, or by a trans shop that made the scan tool investment.

11. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Wow...that’s fancy. Or just plain dumb. We had a vw Passat come in the shop for brakes and had to have the guy down the street use his vw scan tool just to turn back the rear caliper cylinders.

12. Silvertwinkiehobo

Oh, yeah, that was the other item VW put in the purview of their VAG-COM tool.