my 1977 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon original owner

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by pnwagner, Aug 5, 2017.

1. pnwagner

pnwagner New Member

Hi all, I discovered this forum while searching to find the value of my wagon. I have owned it since new, and it is at the stage where I need to either keep it and do a full restore or sell it. It was an Arizona car most of its life, now is in Washington State. I have too many other cars, so they all compete for my attention, and the wagon tends to stay parked most of the time. If I did restoration (needs paint,minor body work, new headliner, drivers seat repair, probably some engine work) and did not keep the car, would I recover the restoration money? It has been a great car over the years, but with my other cars competing it is a tough call.

Any thoughts welcome: sell as is or restore?

Rob

ModelT1 and fannie like this.
  2. AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Welcome pnwagner!

3. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome: MMM a tough call that a lot of folks have to come to grips with and, I'm sorry to say, none of us can really answer the question for you. So what is your wagon?

4. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

Many pics would help as to what your Caprice might be worth. :)

5. pnwagner

pnwagner New Member

I'll take some photos and upload them:)

6. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome! I think with a lot of wagons that aren't especially rare or sought after(this means you, me, and most of us here) the restoration process falls under the ol "labor of love" category. Since buying my colony park which I would say is less sought after than your caprice, or better yet, only sought after by mak, 12oz. Mouse, and myself, I've paid for a new headliner, tires, and transmission. Right there, not including all the extra parts and pieces I've gotten from here and there, I've already exceeded the cars value I'd say. To do the body work and a decent paint job I'd be spending 2x what the car is worth. So, long story short, keep your wagon it's awesome. You did say you had other cars competing for your attention, here's a solution. Sell that stupid 70's vette and put the money into that sexy wagon!!! Or sell it to me for $500:Welcome::Handshake::Welcome:pictures pleeeeease!

ModelT1 likes this.
  7. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:to the forum. I hope you stay and decide to clean up your old station wagon.
    This is only my opinion, few keep cars long. You've had your wagon since new and know how it's been treated and what's wrong with it. Most members here have to search then go out and buy, sometimes a surprise condition, station wagon. Yet they get the best they can and do what you need to do and more because most have been used, abused, and often lived outside.
    I have no idea what else you drive. But, as you know, older station wagons are becoming rare and are still very useful for what they were built for. You have a cruising and show vehicle, plus a parts hauler. This can't be done in most other vehicles.
    As Grizz wrote, it's not all about the money or the worth. You have memories in your wagon and maybe family to pass it down to.

8. pnwagner

pnwagner New Member

Thanks for the replies! I have several other cars, including a couple of Mercedes, one from the 70s and one from the 90s, and a great 2002 Chevy truck. The truck now does most of the utility work. The Mercedes I have had for years, have had repairs done over time so they are almost showroom new. That's how I look after cars. Haven't bought a new car since I bought the wagon in 1977 (new price was $6000 in 1977 dollars, actually a good price at the time).

I'm going to wash the dust off the wagon and take some photos. I think main restore costs would be a good engine rebuild (even though it runs around town ok),headliner, good paint job (that is a few thousand for a good one I would think),and some upholstery work on the driver's seat. I don't think the rear seat has been sat on more than a few times over the years, it is like new. Front seats are separate, not powered. I did put new air shocks in the back this year, they are air adjustable for loads or a stiffer ride (looks better with the back of the wagon up a bit).Tires are Michelin with tread left, and I bought some 77 wheel covers for two of the wheels last year. Actually was surprised that the covers were hard to find, I thought a Chevy would be easy.

Hope to post the photos in a few days. I get lots of comments on the car even though it has its old original paint (Light buckskin factory). I never thought of it as a classic, I guess because I bought it back in 77, and I don't regard myself as a classic. Just goes to show:)

9. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Welcome from a fellow Washintonian!
    I say keep it!
    I know, easy to say when it isn't my money.

10. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome, good luck with what ever you choose to do with your wagon.