Minor 1000

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Grizz, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    a friend of mine up in cape cod sent this to me. He says it's a minor 1000? He was showing me a pic of the la baronand I said what is that behind it?! Forget about the Chrysler. The wood trim doesn't look like it came with the car. This is all I know. A little wisdom from the more informed pleeeease. My guess is it's british IMG_1185.JPG

Attached Files:

ModelT1 likes this.
  2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

It is British, it's a Morris Minor built as a shooting brake, the Brits call it the Countryman, but I'm sure when they brought it to the Colonies, they had to use a designation more palatable to us.

Grizz and ModelT1 like this.
  3. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I like the looks of that Morris wagon

4. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    It seems like it's awfully small. Or short I should say. Mr. Thorp, do the brits still call America the colonies?! I guess it makes sense as we in the south still refer to people in the northeast as "yankee oppressors":bouncy: also, what is a shooting brake?

5. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I'm a Yankee, and I've never oppressed anyone. A shooting brake is their term for a wagon. Why it's called that, only God knows. Funny thing is, unlike a Hillman, it has plenty of room for us longshanks.

6. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    From what I remember they were mostly used for driving to the hunt. Therefore the shooting part. Gimmie a break I don't know what the brake part meant. I speak English not Britlish.
    Long ago I nearly bought a few Hillman's.
    In the U S of A they were used mostly to go to and from the train station. Therefore station wagon. Now they are called soccer mom wagons.
    As a yankee retired to rebel country then back to yankee territory I don't know what I am. I'm more depressed than oppressed.

Doghead and Grizz like this.
  7. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

The term is usually used for a 2-door long roof. As stated used to move hunters with there dogs and gear to the hunting area.

The 2 definitions I have heard about the use of "brake" are

(1) A Brake was originally a robust carriage chassis hooked to spirited horses to "Break" them

(2) It is also possible, that the word 'brake' has its origins in the Dutch word 'brik' which means 'Cart' or 'Carriage'

Your guess is as good as mine. But I would lean towards number 1.

8. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It's a Morris Minor Traveller. The wood filler panels were added, The wood frame is actually structural unlike the Mini which was a bolt on.
    Drove a 2010 Mini Clubman to commute to my furthest store, 187 mile round trip, not a car I would like to drive more than that. Noisy as all heck, wind and engine, not the most comfortable car for long periods, but the car was unbelievably fast, tight and stable at over 100, it was hoot to drive.
    Throttle body disintegrated at 87,000 miles- know problem with 08 to 11 Mini's - metal pcs went into engine, engine had to be rebuilt - cost $4800 - extended warranty covered all but $250. thanks god. Would not buy another

ModelT1 likes this.
  9. Safariknut

Safariknut Well-Known Member

Drove my 1964 Mini Estate from Boston to Tecumseh Michigan and back in 1992(about 1700 miles round trip).The Corbeau GT seats were very comfortable but had a problem with generator brushes in New Found Land PA.Got a set at a NAPA store and continued on my way. Almost lost it when a tractor trailer went by leaking diesel fuel.Running Yokohama A008R tires and it was like driving on ice at 65 mph. On the way home it rained for about 200 miles and that was even scarier. Totaled it when a woman rear ended me while I was stopped to let a police car pull out of a donut shop!Here is a pic when it was whole. 1964MiniCooperEstate2.jpg 1964MiniCooperEstate3.jpg

ModelT1 and Grizz like this.
  10. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    thats an interesting choice for a hunting ride. I'm no hunter, there's never been an animal that owed me enough $$ to track it down and kill it, I've also never been that hungry but, I'd like to see the look on the local yokels pulling up to the hunt in one of these.. "G'day mates, stepped off the lift from me flat and thought what a lovely day for a go in the ol shooting brake!" I've worked on a couple minis, they are fun to drive and fairly easy to work on. I think I finished a clutch job before lunch. I remember the control arms and axles barley needed a tap from a rubber mallet to be released, and the transmission could be removed and reinstalled with out a jack. Just lift it right up myself and I am more long than I am strong. The parts on the other hand I remember being a bit pricey, and I had to drive across and out of town to get them

Doghead and ModelT1 like this.
  11. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Somewhere there's a moral to this story.......... and an after photo.

12. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The Morris Minor was also available in a little panel truck version. Guy I worked with way back in 1968 had one.

[​IMG]

ModelT1 and Poison_Ivy like this.
  13. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    ModelT1 likes this.
  14. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

There are also other ways to pay debts, besides only with $

[​IMG]

Grizz likes this.
  15. Doghead