Loud Humming noise..

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by 89Mercury, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Yes and yes. Do you have a jack and stands to get it up in the air? it needs to be high enough for the axle to hang with the tires on the ground. And, if you have more than an eighth to a quarter of a tank of gas, you can use the FP trigger and a short length of hose to pump the gas into a container or two so that the level is below the bottom of the unit.

2. 89Mercury

89Mercury Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

You're welcome. Just, please, be careful? If you can imagine it, act to minimize it.

4. 89Mercury

89Mercury Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well I replaced the fuel pump yesterday.not just the motor the entire assembly.cost about $140. I thought the pump was on the side of the tank but that is where the sending unit is.the pump is on the top so I had to remove the tank.she is running good but still got that humming noise.its not as loud but can still hear it.it must just be the close location of the pump.thanks to all that replied to give me some assistance.its much appreciated.

5. Silvertwinkiehobo

Damn, I thought '89 MY had the integrated unit, same as my brother's '90 Town Car had. Yeah, that setup was a definite WTF moment, the sender's on the front side, but the pump is on the rear side, instead of an integrated unit on the front side. At the very least, Ford could've put an access panel in the third seat/trunk well.