Leaky Transmission

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Paladin62, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Paladin62

Paladin62 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    "Sarge" has a 350 Turbo transmission that is leaking from the front seal. I am replacing the Carrier bearing because I have a vibration and will drop the tranny while I have the drive shafts out. My plan is to replace the leaking front seal, but a couple of mechanics suggest I also replace the pump seal while the tranny is out...I don't do transmissions...so I have reservations about the pump seal R/R. Anyone have experience with pump seal replacement?

2. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    There's no magic to it. That was good advice, while you're doing the front seal. You don't want to do it later. Take notice of any shaft wear, along the surface touching the seals

[​IMG]

Grizz likes this.
  3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

When you go to do it, take your time, don't force anything, and ensure everything is properly lined up before putting the pump back in. Also, hang it vertically, facing up, to do the pump seal.

4. Paladin62

Wagon Garage:
    Thing is, I don't have any experience with transmissions. That's a really nice image of the tranny , but I don't have a clue as to where the pump is, where the seal is, what it looks like, how much dis-assembly I need to do, etc. etc.etc

5. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    I didn't either, before I went ahead and tore into one. It's actually easier than it looks. When experience fails, you have to do like an inexperienced young man going into battle, by approaching your adversary with a military mindset. That's what "Sarge" expects of you, if you're going to call it that. "Sarge" will be disappointed, if you let it down. So charge into battle.
    The pump is the first unit behind the converter. There's nowhere else it could be, because the rest of the tranny in nothing but clutches, valves and gears

http://autospost.com/cat/when-to-replace-front-pump-on-turbo-350.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Why do you call your car that, anyway? Every time I bump into these threads, I immediately get flashbacks of Sergeant Carter and, worse yet, Gomer Pyle. Why not call it Leutenant, Admiral or anything else higher up? Admiral would be cool, since it resembles a combination F-16 and road ship

[​IMG]

6. Paladin62

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the link. I'll do the pump seal.

The rank I held when I left the Army was Staff Sargent. Nine years of service. Vietnam Era vet. I was in the oxymoron branch of the Army...Military Intelligence...In today's climate of homage to Veterans, the stickers on the back window might get me outta a ticket...we'll see. 49Sarge.jpg

Grizz and Poison_Ivy like this.
  7. Paladin62

Wagon Garage:
    I went to that link...Thanks. While I was looking, I found this...hope you like Rock.

8. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Here's the pressure relief valve. While you're in there, it's only to remove the pin with an appropriate pin punch. The spring could be tested for metalurgical weakening the way one tests valve springs, if the transmission had numerous service hours. I would think that a shop teacher could get slipped a few bills or a case of wine for testing it. I've never heard of these springs sagging. But, I'm sure Hobo or whoever else here has earned a living tearing these down could advise further

[​IMG]

9. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

When in doubt, replace with new.

10. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    A bench test can determine how much, if any, fatigue manifests itself. If that spring is at the above end, I'd leave it in, before risking some metalurgically inferior unknown spring from some far east S. H., as the President would phrase it. If that spring is sound, all others should be. Once that spring gets weak, there won't be enough pressure to hold those bands from slipping, causing premature wear

11. Paladin62

Wagon Garage:
    Like I said...I don't do transmissions...gonna do the seals...that's it.