Just another wagon fan

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by AshTray900, Mar 1, 2010.

1. AshTray900

AshTray900 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Im Ash from MS, always loved station wagons, had an 83 malibu in highschool. so i picked up a 300$ 84 buick electra estate wagon a couple months ago, body was good interior was ok, paint and wood siding was horrible. car did not run.

after 1500$ worth of tires, shocks, steering components and an alternator, fuel pump, valve cover gaskets, distributor parts, all kinds of hoses, belts, full tune up, battery and cables, starter, calipers/hoses and some missing or broke body parts from the junkyard it is running pretty damn good, i have to say a trip to the coast wouldnt scare me in the slightest.

I cleaned the interior and replaced all the lamps, even rebelted the tape deck so i can listen to all the tapes i have from years gone by. cleaned the headliner boards, sanded and just paineted them grey rather than attempting to glue more headliner up that will inevitably just fall back down. me and a buddy put a pretty good looking paint job on it with a little sanding, taping, priming and spraying with heavy duty automotive spray paint, not showroom, but fairly smooth and better than grey mixed with rust.

Just found my last missing center cap on ebay, now all thats left for awhile is to get that wood sticker replaced and to order and paint the bumper fillers. im trying this shelving paper from lowes that actually looks very good but the adhesive is marginal and im not sure how it will stand up to the elements.

The motor burns a little oil through the valve guides and the transmission is ok but not perfect. Im thinking on just dealing with the drivetrain imperfections as in the next year or so I hope to just replace the engine and tranny at the same time then. it should make it, transmission doesnt slip any after i adjusted the TV cable but it was very nasty when i dropped the pan.

anyways its coming along good, ive been working on it in my apartment complexes lot and they seem not to mind, just been making sure to clean up my parts and fluids. will try to put up some before and now pictures soon

2. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

:Welcome:

It sounds like it'll keep you busy driving now that you have most of the bugs worked out.

:camera:

3. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

Welcome Ashtray. Can't wait to see your before and now pics. Get 'em on here asap. I'll bet that big Buick has a nice ride to it. The fact that you can drive it now makes all the work seem worthwhile, doesn't it?!

Oh, by the way check out another posting entitled "fiberglass parts". He says he has bumper fillers. Maybe he has some for your car.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  4. AshTray900

Wagon Garage:
    brings back memories just to cruise around in it, rides smooth too, will go 80+ and still holds the road and makes no complaints. will put the photos up this eve

5. AshTray900

Wagon Garage:
    just tried to upload photos, the site complained about file size and storage space issues. hmm only tried to upload 4 pics

6. AshTray900

Wagon Garage:
    ok well i resized a couple of the current pictures and got them uploaded

001.jpg

img00042-20100225-1517.jpg

7. Roadking41A

Roadking41A Well-Known Member

Welcome, Glad to have you here. Check my Thread on fiberglass parts in general forums

8. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:to the wagon train, ash. I had an 88 Electra wagon that I loved. I put a built 455 in it. Loved that car but wrecked it. Your pix brings back memories.
    EDIT:
    Oh....by the way....that shelf paper stuff will probably fade to nothing in about 10 minutes.:(

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  9. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome Ash! Your wagon sure does sound rich with potential.:Welcome:

10. StukaJU87

StukaJU87 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome. Ash. Good luck with your project.

11. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    dam...sounds like your working your ash off on her:tiphat:

dude....dont mactac....waste of moola:naughty:

:Welcome: Ash

12. 94x2

94x2 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome! Glad to see yet another B-body. And a Buick at that. Looks good. if you have any palce around you that does vehicle wraps check with them on the woodgrain. Might be a little pricey but holds up extremely well.

13. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    94X2....I don't understand your post? Do you mean shrink wrapping vehicles and if you do I don't see the correlation with vinyl wood replacement?

14. 94x2

94x2 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    It's vinyl wrap - instaead of paint people use it for graphics, advertising, etc. I have a friend here in the sign business that does it. He has told me that he can get different woodgrain patterns and could re-wood a wagon with it. Maybe this pic will give you some idea.

http://picasaweb.google.com/skinzwraps/SUV#5276010594618794546

15. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Ooohh....for signage. I get it. Might work. The stuff they use for signs shouldn't fade any too soon and should stick and hold for a long time. Wonder what wood patterns are available though. Interesting theory. Wonder what it would cost? OTOH...the stuff made for our wagons is pretty tough stuff too. And pattern correct.