Information about dispersion lacquer?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by Twohundred, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Twohundred

Twohundred Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    According to the Service Parts Identification label on my 1987 Buick LeSabre Estate Wagon, the car is painted with a Dispersion Lacquer WA-L8592/U8592 (same color upper and lower). Does anybody know what kind of paint that is?
    The reason why I am asking is that a body/paint shop I visited today claimed that the paint had to be completely removed before a new paint could be applied. They said 200 man hours would be required. Anybody with a calculator can do the math...
    So is this true, must the paint be completely removed or can the car be successfully "over-painted" to give a reasonable appearance?

2. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    This is a first. I haven't heard that one yet. It's true that certain paints are incompatible with other types of painted surfaces. With something as modern like you have, that shouldn't be an issue like it was with painting over antique finishes with modern chemistry. Unless somebody else here verifies otherwise, I'd get his claim in writing. Then sue him for fraud, if it looks like he's trying to contract unnecessary work

Twohundred likes this.
  3. Twohundred

Twohundred Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    I couldn't believe my ears either. Had been quoted a completely different price from another shop, but wanted several quotes to give a reasonable estimate.

Been reading a bit on the subject as the body/paint shop claimed my car to be painted with cellulose lacquer! A quick search on 80's GM-cars and the fact comes out its; acrylic dispersion lacquer (Dis Lacquer on some identification labels).

Might buy the Automotive Paint Handbook: Paint Technology for Auto Enthusiasts & Body Shop https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Paint-Handbook-Enthusiasts-Professionals/dp/1557882916. Should be good to have in the library for future reference.

I ain't going back to that shop. And no point suing as our juridical system has collapsed. The one thing I know is that I now have two shops on my black-list. The US-car shop recommending this body/shop and of course this body/paint shop.

Both shops based in Stockholm, Sweden. PM me for the names. Wouldn't post it here even though I believe in name and shame.

4. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    I heard read about your judicial system there. The criminal justice system has long collapsed. But, shouldn't the civil justice system still be intact? Anymore, I wonder if the tax department is the only one functioning there.
    There are consumer websites available to where you can report dishonest businesses. As long as you have documented proof, there shouldn't be any danger of you suffering reciprocating legal action

5. Twohundred

Twohundred Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Ordered the The Automotive Paint Handbook (Aug 1998) from Amazon. As I have other older cars I reckon knowing is the key to everything. So for £15 it should be a good addition to the automotive bookshelf.

Regarding the collapse in Sweden. Its on all fronts, but healthcare and police are the two areas that doesn't work any longer. The people working there does awesome jobs, but its the political system since the 80's that destroyed it. Now we are hurting on all fronts. Worst part is that the conservatives disbanded our defense! So now we can't protect ourselves. And we live a stone throw away from Russia... The saying goes; "Every country has an army. Its own or somebody else".

6. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    From what I've seen happeneing there, I doubt that even the Russians want Sweden anymore. I think, Sweden would have to pay the Russian army for freeing the no-go zones there.
    Incidently, I just bumped a thread which may be of use

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  7. Twohundred

Twohundred Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    A few years ago the American Embassy warned Americans to visit Sweden due to the violence. Right now its fairly calm. But it will be warmer when the snow is gone and the riots will start again. A few days ago they started to burn some cars in one of the no-go zones. Right now only about one knife-stabbing or gun shooting death per day. Rapes and gang-rapes are common though, so the police has warned women from going on town parks alone. But when the police did issue the warning immediately some politicians claimed that such warning would be misinterpreted as racial and/or give the wrong impression about Sweden.
    So its not about safety for the women. Its about being politically correct!

Can't say I would like Russia to take over. Because I would not want that ever. But I don't think Putin can make it worse.

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  8. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

You can paint enamels over lacquer, but cannot paint lacquer over enamels. Overpainting your car with a single stage, acrylic enamel shouldn't be a problem.

9. Twohundred

Twohundred Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks OldFox. This helps.