Ideas for Transport?

Discussion in 'Site News, Feedback, Suggestions and Help' started by brydm, Jun 26, 2016.

1. brydm

brydm Active Member

I recently purchased a '74 Buick Estate Wagon and am looking forward to moving my favorite lounge chair into the garage, next to it. The only problem is that I haven't gotten it here, yet. It's in Sonora, TX, I'm in Dayton, OH, and various auto transport outfits seem to have trouble lining up a driver. I'm told that Sonora is a small, West Texas town surrounded by tumble weeds, but it sits next to I-10. Any thoughts?

2. Brad

Brad Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Sean Ryder (gbsean - at - option line - dot - net) is a great guy that does this for a living. He's a Buick guy too, so that doesn't hurt. Member of the BCA (Buick Club of America) and the director of BPG (Buick Performance Group). He's transported numerous cars for club members and others too. Drop him an email and see if he can help you. Tell him Brad sent you.

3. brydm

brydm Active Member

Great, I'll give him a shout. This transport thing is starting to drag on...

4. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

It is right on I-10, but the problem is that it's one of the remotest parts of I-10 between El Paso and San Antonio. Any trucker traveling that route heading east is likely heading to a southern U.S. destination, not one in the northeast, which is probably why it's difficult to line up a driver. I think that if you're patient, you will ultimately get a driver assigned. Pursue the suggested Buick guy, but don't be surprised if he doesn't do it immediately as it's likely just as far out of the way for him as for anyone else. Of course, if you pay him enough, he'll go get it pronto.

Have you given any thought to going to get it yourself?

dennis likes this.
  5. BlueVista

BlueVista Well-Known Member Charter Member

You're best bet is to have somebody drive or trail the car to a major city like Dallas. It may have to sit in a shipping terminal for a week or two unless you have a place to take it or can make an appointment to meet the truck somewhere.

dennis likes this.
  6. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

I had to do exactly this to get my '67 Olds Delta 88 transported from Athens, Ohio (small town in the southeastern part of the state) to New Mexico. The shipper was having difficulty finding a driver willing to come to town and pick up the car, and I was coming up against a deadline where I had to have it gone. Since the car was driveable, I suggested that I could drive it to Columbus (75 miles to the northwest) and have it there for pick up. Suddenly, drivers willing to pick it up started coming out of the woodwork. It makes a difference if the car you want shipped is on the beaten track.

dennis likes this.
  7. n2fordmuscle

n2fordmuscle Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I've had a couple of cars shipped, both from the opposite side of the country. Mercury Transport (a broker) didn't seem to have any problems finding transport on both occasions, but like was already stated, it sounds like your wagon is out of the way. Give Mercury Transport a call. Who knows?

Or, go get it yourself, if you have access to a truck? Gas prices are the cheapest they've been in years. I drove from GA to OH to pick up my '79 T-Top Tbird. Rented a Uhaul trailer, here in GA, and returned it in GA (much cheaper as a local rental). It was cheaper than using a transport company.

8. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

One comment about getting it yourself. These clamshell wagons are large, heavy cars. When I first bought my '73 Custom Cruiser, it was 90 miles away. It wasn't up to the drive as it hadn't been started in 5 years and needed a good going through as well as new tires. But I ran into difficulty getting a trailer or tow-bar from U-Haul or whatever. When I gave them the info on the car, they said it was either too heavy or too wide for their trailer. They also asked what truck I was going to tow it with. I didn't have a truck, but the seller had a Toyota Tundra and was willing to trailer it to my house. U-Haul said that that wasn't enough truck. In the end, I ended up having a transport service pick it up and trailer it to me. Cost only $225 as the distance was so short, and it was well worth it. I would not want to tow a car from rural Texas to Ohio without having equipment that was fully up to the task, especially in this summer heat, and could do it safely.

9. brydm

brydm Active Member

While awaiting transport I've opted for one option and am considering a couple more. The one I "opted" for was to throw an extra $300 to the shipper, so maybe that'll make a difference. Also, instead of transporting it directly to Ohio, it could be transported to a relative's house in Brenham, TX (home of Bluebell ice cream), which is between Houston and Austin, then transported or picked up by myself from there. Shippers have said that Brenham is a MUCH better transport location. The last option is for me to get it from Sonora myself. Not wild about that, but will if I have to (the tow vehicle might be a 1990 buick estate wagon, unless I rent).

10. Adele

Adele New Member

First a fall, I would like to congratulate you for this awesome wagon. I know that the Buick Estate is a full-sized station wagon manufactured by the Buick division. As its of premier luxury, also the Estate is expensive and most fully equipped entry in the market. I think you should go with some professionals who provide shipping these types of car that to with utmost care. Because I one of my friends also faced this type of similar situation, after doing a lot of research and consulted many such service providers he had gone for a car transport NJ company which is not only have experienced in this field but also can transport your car to any location no matter what. Good luck with your Estate Wagon.

11. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

The above sounds like a commercial, although I'm not sure if it's a commercial for the transport company or for Buick.

It also sounds like it was written by a third grader.
    First "a fall?" Try "First of all."

The rest of it is not much better. This looks very much like something originally written in another language, such as Chinese, and then clumsily translated into English.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chenglish

12. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    This all reminds me it's been nearly a year since I had three cars shipped on a large car transport trailer and semi from NW Florida to central Illinois. It cost $1800 and was to be a two or three day ride. It ended up taking nearly two weeks, from 90+ degrees and sunny, to heavy snow and cold by the time the cars arrived.
    My oldest son and son in law took care of the unloading near our Illinois house. Unknown to me all three cars had a covering of ice, snow, and road salt which no one bothered to remove for six months.
    <-------- Nice and clean with perfect chrome.
    Not only did the shipping get delayed several times, I get sick every time I look at the cars in my garage.
    If you have anything transported out in the open in winter, clean it as soon as possible!

13. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Haha. Or like the telemarketers that type their responses and a computer speaks. Ask where they are based out of, I'd say it ain't New Jersey, probably closer to New Dheli

48fordnut likes this.
  14. peter4821

peter4821 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Call Karen at South car go logistics. She is out of Naples FL> 844 477 2039 She has moved a bunch of cars for me including my 84 Caprice wagon that was way up on the upper UP in Michigan and my 85 caddy limo form Dallas to northern Maine. She is a broker, Charges $100 for her service. she knows every independent trucker out there. she can get it moved for ya.

15. fasteddie

fasteddie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Don't know if the OP is still looking but thanks for the post. I'm saving that contact. I move a handful of cars a year. She might come in handy