I want to get one like the one I had

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by annap01gt, Jan 15, 2021.

1. annap01gt

annap01gt Blue Safari

Doghead likes this.
  2. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

Thats a great looking TR 3a, I owned a very rusty 56 TR 3 when I was in high school. Red with a later TR 6 engine transplanted in it. Horrible conversion job. But I loved the car, it was my 1st sports car.

I would really like to get the 65 Corvette convertible I owned for under an hour in 1979. It was Nassau Blue with a White top & interior, 327, 4-speed Bought it for $3500 and was offered $8000 for it before I was able to drive it home! I only drove it on & off my trailer. Now that car would be a 6 figure car in value. I never will be able to afford one again.

I say if you like the car, see it in person and drive it, if it still rings all the bells you remember go for it.

It has to drive better that the rusty beat up & hacked up TR 3 I had!!!!! LOL!!!!

ModelT1 likes this.
  3. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    If I could, I wouldn't necessarily buy duplicates of cars I used to own, but I might buy cars (and trucks) that I missed buying, like the beautiful '58 Star Chief Custom Safari I saw when I was 14......

60Mercman likes this.
  4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

If I had a dollar for all the cars and screaming deals I had to turn down, usually for the lack of money, I wouldn't have a lack of money.:oops:

Anyway, there are a few I should've kept, but in most cases, I traded for other cars. The '84 Cavalier convertible, I traded for my '74 Ranchero Squire, my '70 Delta 88, I traded for that POS '91 Le Mons, I mean, Le Mans (and if I'd known just how crappy it was, I would've refused to buy it), etc.

5. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    First car was a 1967 Mustang that was a 289 Sports Sprint package (that "Diamond Green" one I was referring to, Andrew). I have not seen another. It was a subtle package, that had a chrome air filter cover versus the Ford blue one, a vinyl wrapped shifter handle instead of the usual chrome one, and probably a few other things as well.

I'd like to have it back. Not possible, though, since I rammed it into a rock embankment and totaled it when I was 17.

6. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Wow........ That hurts ME, and it wasn't even my car. Such a loss.......

7. moparandfomoco

moparandfomoco Well-Known Member

What he said.......oh the cars I missed out on or passed 'cuz I didn't have money/space. |It's an issue that still plays out every day almost down here in NM.....

8. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Way back in 1961 my younger brother had a nice TR3 and I had a year old Bug Eyed Sprite. I ruined the little engine twice so I replaced it with a Chevy 327 with 3 2-barrel carbs and a Powerglide. Wasn't any room for 3-peddles.
    This is not my Austin Healy Sprite or my wife!
    1960 Sprite.jpg
    If I could have just one car I passed up it would most likely been the 1954 Corvette in the farmer's barn I was offered. That was back in the 70's.
    If I had it I'd had to sell it long ago like I did other cars.

Yet, after over 50 years of dreamin, I do now own the car my wife and I dreamt about. So, I can say never give up on your dreams.
    Now that I have that dream Model A I kinda wished I'd bought a 1931 Model A Victoria. An open car here in Illinois is more of a nightmare than a dream!
    Yet it's everything we dreamed of.:bigsmile:
    Sharps A 2.jpg
    Sharps A 4.jpg

Yep, I'd kinda rather have this one.
    1931 Vcitoria rod. Tipton., Ind.jpg
    Or maybe this one.
    1931 Victtoria $19500 Iowa City.jpg
    Why do we always want something else ?:coco::huh:

9. dmfconsult

dmfconsult Well-Known Member

Just a few (seemingly) short years ago, I was interested in a buying a 1985 Porsche 930 Turbo, light blue with blue leather. It was for sale at a local Porsche centered dealership at a reasonable price and I was looking at replacing an earlier Porsche 911 I had . I was traveling in California, so couldn't go see it and I was unwilling to put a deposit down over the phone. Less than a week later, I returned home to find the car was sold. Only about a year after that, air-cooled Porsches went through the roof and this car was back at the same dealership for a price that was approximately 5 times higher than I could have previously purchased it for! I really loved that car, particularly the color combo and I likely wouldn't have resold it that fast, but the price of these 930 turbos is still way up there, so unlikely I'll ever be able to afford one again.... :(

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  10. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

I didn't know, this thread was about cars, when I read the thread's title :love: