I ingested some Mercury

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by 12ozMouseBoner, Jul 23, 2017.

1. 12ozMouseBoner

12ozMouseBoner Well-Known Member

and it was so cool.

I was completely oblivious to the cool factor that is the American station wagon until I drove one, and now... I own an 88 Mercury Colony Park.

got it for $500, it runs very well, the interior needs to be worked on and the body needs some attention. But like any rescue dog it needs love, and lots of it.

Rust seems to be pretty much vacant on this barge except for the rear tub and a few spots of surface rust. The weather strips need to be replaced, the PRNODL is out of sync, half the windows don't work and the coolant looks like black death. But this ghost is still running, and surprisingly well.

I'm used to driving a bronco (last gen) and I have some familiarity to driving loosely fitted steering systems, but my god, this wagon is a whole new ball game.

Road feel? NONE

Adaptive steering response? LOOSER THAN A SJW's FUSE

Parking? GOOD LUCK IN THE CITIES GUY

This car is MASSIVE, getting around sharp turns is dicier than buying drugs off Craigslist, Goddamn and I thought the Bronco was a challenge with blind spots. But I have never, ever had a challenge in this much comfort. This car looks like alleyway murder, but it's like driving a cloud on morphine. I'm glad I got this wagon, best decision I've made.

2. n2fordmuscle

n2fordmuscle Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome! Once you become a wagon owner, there's no turning back. It's addictive. Let's see some pics.

3. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:to the station wagon lifestyle. Those 88 Mercury Colony Parks were like that off the showroom floor. Get used to it! You got a good buy and a lifetime of smiles per mile.
    I remember when we were dumb kids we used to take mercury out of thermometers to play with. Most of us lived.
    Now that I'm a dumb senior I'd drive a Mercury just to torment and confuse young people. Blind spots don't bother me. I can't see well and don't watch for traffic anyway.
    We're glad you joined us. Now where are the pictures of that ugly beast?:camera:

4. 12ozMouseBoner

ze pics, i need to find a place to get the seats re-upholstered and a few other things.

Attached Files:

ModelT1 likes this.
  5. 12ozMouseBoner

the parts i need ill post pics of later.

6. 12ozMouseBoner

So what I need....

1: The small storage compartment that attaches to the bottom portion of the driver's door
    2: The leather inner door handles for both front doors
    3: Rear left passenger arm rest (If I can repair it please let me know)
    4: The rear Left ash tray lid, I need the plastic locking part if I can service it.

If you doods have the parts and want to sell them please let me know :)

Attached Files:

ModelT1 likes this.
  7. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome aboard!

8. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the forum, picked up my 85 Colony Park in January, had a 89 back in the day. Love your description
    "Road feel? NONE
    Adaptive steering response? LOOSER THAN A SJW's FUSE
    Parking? GOOD LUCK IN THE CITIES GUY
    sharp turns is dicer than buying drugs off Craigslist, it's like driving a cloud on morphine"

Forgot to mention that it goes 0-60 - sometime today and a quarter mile this week, and yes my new 89 was the same - but ever since I traded that wagon - always regretted it - now I'm happy in my 85, upload_2017-7-24_21-26-21.png
    Just think they stopped making these before you were born, surprised you took the plunge. Noticed car has VA tags - is that where you are? Have found a couple of upholsters around Charlottesville/Staunton area - but not cheap to replace leather
    about 600 each front seat. Mine doesn't need it yet - but will sooner than later
    WORD of caution - there is a part Ford AOD throttle valve cable bushing, if this piece fails your transmission is toasted, and it will go with no warning. I know the hard way. part is less than $25, even if yours looks ok - replace it Link below
    [​IMG]
    This is the upgraded brass bushing from Ford Motor Company. The part is NEW and unused. The brass bushing is the replacement for the nylon plastic bushing that commonly fails on the throttle valve cable at the throttle body.
    https://k-mansparts.com/ford-aod-throttle-valve-cable-bushing-brass-replacement-detail.htm
    Nice to have another CP join the madness - again welcome

Grizz and ModelT1 like this.
  9. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Nice photos. Not so ugly and a great project.:)
    The part about handling, keep in mind all vehicles back then handled like a loaded log wagon compared to what's on the roads today. The differences are these new things all look alike and won't even be memories in a few years.

10. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Oooh. I like the brass bushing. Imma get me one! Mak, this is 2nd time I've seen you mention something about how slow your cp is? What's the deal?!?! Mine can get a little tire skip from a dead stop and it flies on the highway. Have I got some juice I didn't know about?. As far as I know the only mod. Is a dual exhaust with an "x" pipe. It sounds radical. Oh and welcome!!!! Do I have to ask what a 12oz. Mouse boner is?

11. AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Welcome 12ozMouseBoner!

12. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Welcome aboard. Looks like a car with good bones and tons of potential.

13. 12ozMouseBoner

thanks 4 the welcomes every!!, @MAK thanks for that tip man, i definetly want to keep this trans, its nicer than the e4od...

MAK likes this.
  14. 12ozMouseBoner

@Grizz its when you combine the 12. oz mouse show and a boner together. it drives the ladies wild

15. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    ^^^i guess I have a lot to learn:biglaugh:

ModelT1 likes this.