I found it..85 Olds Cruiser

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by BilAage, Apr 24, 2016.

1. BilAage

BilAage New Member

Hello
    I might have found a buyer for my 73 F100, and im looking at this 85 Olds Del Monte STW.
    Owner says it has only 21000 mls on it, but then again they use salt on roads over here so you never know until you see it...

Its without woodtrim ,but i was thinking i could get the sidetrim where paint and wood meets ,and make it a Custom woodie?
    (Where to get this?)

Also,i dont know much about this model in terms of what to look out for before eventually buying?

I know its similar to a Caprice but the closest i got to this was my 85 Monte Carlo....
    Best regards,BilAge

2. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    [​IMG]
    Uh, WHAT? In the 1985 model year, Olds offered three wagons, the full size RWD Custom Cruiser, the mid size FWD Cutlass Cruiser, and the small FWD Firenza wagon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ModelT1 likes this.
  3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Us kids in the wagon were called many things growing up, but never "Mixed Vegetables!"

101Volts likes this.
  4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Have you taken a pic of it? Have you looked in all the places for rust problems? Have you paid a shop to do a prepurchase inspection? Have you examined the car's paperwork and performed a Google search on the VIN and license plate number?

5. BlueVista

BlueVista Well-Known Member Charter Member

Don't be so quick to judge, it's Denmark.
    There wasn't an Olds "Del Monte" but there was an Oldsmobile "Delmont" model in '67-'68.
    Maybe they continued to use the model name in Europe??

6. BilAage

BilAage New Member

Relaaax.
    I know its a custom cruiser,but i never had an Olds before, and the add says its a Del Monte.
    (I cant link from the add to prove my innocence...)

I thought it was just a less equiped wagon or something. I know how to inspect cars ,just not much about this beast. ?
    Any Non-comedian input would be helpfull...

ModelT1 likes this.
  7. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    How about mixed fruits........... Or is that for SoCal?:biglaugh:

8. Silvertwinkiehobo

Fruits, nuts and flakes, the original Granola State.

ModelT1 likes this.
  9. Silvertwinkiehobo

Anyway, I had heard the name "Del Monte" back in the early '90s or so, as it pertained to a GM car, but I don't remember Olds having a hold of it.

10. BilAage

BilAage New Member

Well Ha-de-ha..
    Come on guys,lil help here...
    What to look out for with this Oldsmobile Custom cruiser non woodgrain 307 cui,140 hp,8 seat, only 21000 miles-car.?

11. Silvertwinkiehobo

Documentation. If that is really 21000 original miles, the state records for the first ten years will show if it really exceeded 21K, as that is Federally mandated. You want to make sure the computer system works correctly; there are ways to access if there are stored trouble codes. PROTIP: if the Check Engine light is burned out or removed, you cannot access the trouble codes. No CEL is a red flag right off the bat. You should see it in the pre-crank bulb test when starting it. Pay a good shop to do a prepurchase inspection. They know what to look for. I did one on a three-year-old Toyota 4Runner; it not only had an inordinate amount of frame/body rusting after only three years, the @$$ holes selling it sprayed black sealer--not black paint, SEALER--over the entire frame and body underside. I looked at it on the rack, began laughing, and had to show my boss and co-worker....

12. BilAage

BilAage New Member

Now thats more like it..
    I only have pictures to go by so far ,but i like to be prepared before going to see it IRL.
    CEL? What is that?
    Remember im the new foreign guy in class...
    I like the Toyota story,goes to show u never know until u see it.
    Thats also why i would rather have faded original paint ,over some driveway putty job. By the way its also in terms of rust , and where in peticular to look.?

In Denmark they use salt on the roads in winter,seems they like the income tax (180 % on top of cars original price..!)from us poor citizens having to constantly buy new cars since they rust out. Most US cars ,new or old, are imported here from (usually)dryer climate.
    But since we pay the car 3 times, most people seem to be carefull with the underbody coating...

13. jmt455

jmt455 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    CEL is the Check Engine Light.
    Also, make sure the CEL isn't just taped or painted over; I've found that on TWO cars I've purchased over the years. The CEL light should illuminate for a few seconds when you first turn the key on, then it should go out after the engine starts.

At 21000 miles, the grain on the steering wheel should still be very well defined and not worn smooth anywhere. Pedal pads, seat and door trim should show almost no wear, either.

I would be looking for rusty floor pan areas around the catalytic converter, the rear cross-member and inside the rear bumper reinforcements. The cylinder mounting areas for the energy-absorbing bumpers are also prone to rust; you'll often see evidence of the rear bumper sagging downward as the mounting area corrodes. Also look closely at the frame rails behind the front wheels where the tires would deposit salt, mud and water.

The bottom of the spare tire well is typically rusted away and the bottoms of the doors and tailgate are often bad, also.

Power antennas often don't work on these cars and you have to remove the passenger hood hinge and partially remove the passenger front fender to replace or repair the antenna unit.

The nylon rollers or sliders in the window regulators often need to be replaced; they crack/break and cause the the windows to move slowly or not at all.

These cars had a computer-controlled (CCC) 4 barrel Rochester carburetor. If your cars have to pass emissions certification tests, it might be difficult or impossible to comply if the carb has been swapped out to a non-CCC unit. The computer controls the mixture control solenoid to govern air/fuel ratios.

14. BilAage

BilAage New Member

Thank you Everyone.
    Im all exited ,going this weekend to check out the car.
    Also got my eyes on a 70 galaxie, but thats a while other story..

15. Silvertwinkiehobo

A Galaxie's nice. When I was a kid, we had a '66. Dad called it "Sherman" because it was built tank-tough.