I bought another one

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Timmayy, Nov 13, 2021.

1. Timmayy

Timmayy Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hi all. I posted a while back about my wife's 65 Plymouth Belvedere wagon that I've been working on. It looks like it will be out of commission for a while. I still need to do a LOT of work to it. So we decided to buy another Plymouth that was more turnkey and go. 67 Fury. It's in a lot better shape and it needs a lot of little things rather than big things. We bought it and drove it 3 hours home. I will be tweaking it and fixing the little things in the near future.
    upload_2021-11-13_19-54-9.jpeg

2. WagonTheDog

WagonTheDog Well-Known Member

Nice wagon! I always liked the headlight surrounds on the '67 Fury. That's not original paint, is it?

3. Timmayy

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks, yes I believe it is original paint. We just drove it home yesterday so I'm just beginning to really get into it.

4. WagonTheDog

Niiiiiiiice. Looks like a great survivor car and an easy project! :) What engine does it have in it?

5. Timmayy

Wagon Garage:
    It's a 318 2 barrel. It may have been repainted in the past. Not sure. Daylight savings time really limits my time to work on it. I don't have much daylight when I get home from work.

WagonTheDog likes this.
  6. Timmayy

Wagon Garage:
    So far I've upgraded to electronic ignition, changed out the carb, new choke and alternator from my other wagon and set the timing. It runs smoother but I think the carb was rebuilt incorrectly. Sometimes it starves for gas. I put in a new clear fuel filter and I don't see any issue with the gas line. The fuel pump looks new. Replaced the power booster check valve. The old one broke. I'm now going to try and switch carbs from my great running convertible. If that fixes the issue then I know it's the rebuilt carb.

7. Timmayy

Wagon Garage:
    Ok, I switched out the carb from my 69 Sport Satellite convertible. I know it's good because that car runs great. I put it on the wagon and it runs so much better. Whoever rebuilt the other carb apparently did something wrong. I have to send them a message. It was just rebuilt last month.

WagonTheDog likes this.
  8. WagonTheDog

I love the 318! Here's an interesting fact that some people may not know though: 1967 was the first year for the "wedge" LA 318 engine (the previous iteration was the A 318 with polyspherical combustion chambers), but Canada didn't get the wedge LA engines (273/318/340) until 1968. So if your car was a Canadian car it would have come with the older style 318 Poly! :)

It very well could have been repainted, but it still looks nice. Hopefully you get the time to wrench on her a bit!

It could be a number of things, but that sounds like either a clogged fuel passageway somewhere or a vacuum leak. Sometimes when a carb has been "rebuilt" a passageway doesn't get cleaned properly, or cleaned at all. And sometimes all it takes is a flake of old gunk to get in somewhere during the cleaning process to clog things up.

But if the carb was actually rebuilt properly, it could also be a vacuum leak somewhere, which can cause all kinds of problems like hesitation, stalling and other symptoms that resemble fuel starvation issues. Especially during acceleration. Depending on the size of the leak, it can be minor or really bad.

Regardless, it seems like you know what you're doing and I'm sure you'll get things figured out soon. :thumbs2:

Timmayy likes this.
  9. Timmayy

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, I took care of the vacuum leak. The power brake check valve broke. No other leaks. I sent a message to the people that rebuilt the carb. They are going to redo it for me and reimburse the shipping. Now I have the stock radio out and am having it converted to bluetooth.

10. Timmayy

Wagon Garage:
    More progress. I made the appointment with my friends bodyshop to take care of the rust holes. Nothing major. I just want it taken care of before they get larger. I also purchased another 318 from a local junkyard that I've been going to for decades. It's a 1975 motor with the unleaded heads. I'll clean it, paint it and do a little freshening it up before my buddy and I drop it in over the winter. The old engine is making noise in the valvetrain. It's easier to drop in another one than to pull the heads and wait on a machine shop for work.

11. Timmayy

Wagon Garage:
    The new motor is home. I'll get the grandson and we'll start pulling stuff off and give it a good scrubdown.

12. Wagonrodder

Wagonrodder Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Looks like you have a very solid ride there...and a great plan for it! Enjoy!

Timmayy likes this.
  13. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

That is nice Timmayy! I love it. I'm looking forward to following along on the adventure as you get this one all spruced up.
    Don't give up on the 65 ;)

Timmayy likes this.
  14. Timmayy

Wagon Garage:
    Got my Fury back from the bodyshop earlier this week. No more rot holes. They blended the paint pretty good. I also found a couple of interior parts I needed.

Wagon after bodywork.jpg

WagonTheDog, 60Mercman and OrthmannJ like this.
  15. Timmayy

Wagon Garage:
    I found a nice rust free tailgate. The one on the wagon now has rust issues lower down and inside. You can't see it when closed. I'll strip down the new one and send it off to my buddies bodyshop to finish and paint.
    Fury tailgate.jpg

WagonTheDog, 60Mercman and OrthmannJ like this.