I am finally starting on 1961 Vauxhall Super Victor Wagon

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by Hillsideshortleg, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Hillsideshortleg

Hillsideshortleg Member

I am going to install a Subaru running gear and motor in my Vauxhall. I joined a Subaru site and thought I would also join the Station Wagon site. I have had this car for 45 years or so and figured I better get on doing something with it if I am going to. LOL I actually found another one near me so now I have this one plus another in a lot better shape [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

60Mercman likes this.
  2. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

Looks like a solid starting point. But it will likely be very difficult to find trim parts. These cars were sold by Pontiac dealers in the U.S. in the late 50's and early 60's. GM sold them in Canada too, but the Canadian versions might have been badged as Envoy.

3. Hillsideshortleg

Hillsideshortleg Member

The other wagon I just bought has it all on it I think.

4. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    We’re both the same age. You have a lot more tenacity than me. Welcome to the Forum and good luck on your project!

5. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

That'll be interesting to see how you're going to stuff a Subaru drivetrain in there. Without replacing the entire front end suspension, the flat engine won't clear. What you're more than likely going to have to do is to find a donor car, weld braces between the A-posts and then transfer the entire engine compartment with suspension onto the Vauxhall. Because the Vauxhall isn't as wide as the torbocharged flat-6 models, you're unfortunately going to be limited to using a flat-4 donor car, unless you cut the Vauxhall longitudinally and vertically, in order to widen the entire vehicle.
    If the drivetrain has to be Subaru, the easiest way would be to drop in a 1300 cc Subaru in-line. Not that it necessarilly has to be easy:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Welcome aboard. That sounds like an interesting project. I'm looking forward to seeing this as it progresses.

7. Hillsideshortleg

Hillsideshortleg Member

I became a little worried about the size of the Vauxhall after Dogheads comment, so I took another measurement of the Vauxhall and our 06 Outback. Out side of front fenders on Vauxhall was 64" and Subaru was 67" outside of front wheels. Seems doable. outside of frame on Vauxhall was around 26" and the inside of the frame on Subaru was 30". Hmmm looks like widening sub frame on Vauxhall is going to be a must. Length of engine compartment with radiator on Subaru was 33" and the Vauxhall was 44". It doesnt seem like it's an absolute no it wont work at this point. I am bringing the second one home Friday and will decide which I am going to put on our new rotisserie so we can get down to seeing how it will work.
    Thanks for the input, I think i will need all the help I can get. LOL

Doghead likes this.
  8. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Essentially, the Subie engine sits just about on the subframe rails, and is attached at the bellhousing to the firewall, but they're bolstered front and rear by the unit body construction. I don't know if the Vauxhall is Unibody or not, but even if not, it's likely you could build a frame skeleton that could hold the engine, upper rear dogbone and the MacPherson suspension, then lay the sheet metal over it. It will be interesting to see how you approach this.