How to remove 86 Electra Wagon driver door panel?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by tfvesquire, Nov 18, 2017.

1. tfvesquire

tfvesquire Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    I need a detailed breakdown of the process to carefully remove the front driver door panel on my dad's 86 Electra Estate Wagon so I can replace the power mirror switch.

I know the window and door lock controls have a screw to remove it and there should be something inside there that needs to be removed. However when I look at the section with the door pulls there does not appear to be anything to remove to expose what is securing the panel to the door.

I recall in his other wagon you had to carefully remove the faux woodgrain covers on the door pull to get to a factory rivet that had to be drilled out and replaced with a screw. I don't see anything like that here.

If some one can post where all the hidden fasteners are so I don't break anything that would be great. I know when I tried to remove the LR door panel to pop out a small dent I was only able to get the lower section loose enough for me to get inside the door and access the dent in the bottom section of the door.

The top section of the door panel near the window did not budge and seemed to be welded in place.

Thanks all. I'm sure someone on here knows the secrets of my Electra.

2. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    I don’t have the exact details sorry! but it should be pretty much similar the the rear door. It sounds like you almost had it on the rear door. A lot of door panels are sort of hanging on the window. Once you have removed all the screws the entire panel needs to be lifted up and out. I would suggest using a small plastic pry bar, like the ones used on trim to gently pry the panel from the snaps around the edges. Places screws can be hidden: arm rest, behind the latch handle, handles to pull the door closed, trim, emblems. Do you have power windows, locks, or mirrors? If you don’t get a better answer post a pic!

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Can you post a pic of the switch? My memory is mush, and I think I know which unit was on those cars, but it's been way too long. But I think, if I saw it, I may be able to have an "A-HA!" moment and give you instructions on changing it out.

4. tfvesquire

tfvesquire Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    I don't have access to the vehicle to snap a photo. It mounts in the same bezel on the panel as the manual mirror control. There is an allen set screw that hold the switch in place that is only accessible from the backside of the panel. Once I get the panel off and loosen that allen screw the switch slides right out.

My issue is getting access to the door pulls behind the door panel. From the looks of my panel, they go thru the panel and are hooked to the door, unless the hard plastic "faux" wood top of the panel simply slides up. When I tried to remove the LR door panel it appeared to be held in place tight with no give when I tried to slide the panel up and out. There has to be some hidden clips or rivets to remove, but I have no idea what to try and remove without breaking something, especially up north where the weather makes everything brittle.

5. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    I know the feeling! most of what I’ve learn d about cars and life in general I had to break something before I fully understood how it goes together. a lot of door panels have snaps that simply press in to place and snap apart. They are usually located along the edge of the panel, all the way around. A lot of the times these will break upon removal. (At least when I do it) I’ve found several different replacement styles at Oreilly’s. Maybe that wood panel snaps out and there are screws under there? I can’t think of any members who have an 86’ to ask for a definitive answer.

6. peter4821

peter4821 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Look on U Tube. If its the same as chevy then you slide the arm rest back, Got to almost wack it, Then Drill Rivets out.

7. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    Bingo! Arm rest was the first place I mentioned for hidden screws! If you throw enough at the wall something bound to stick!