How much power for all electrics except driving?

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy & Emissions' started by Senri, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Talking about fuel economy, I was wandering if there is an estimate of the power needed to drive all the extra stuff except forward motion? I was thinking about all electric stuff like starter, lights, radio, ECM etc, but also the fan, waterpump and even the AC pump.
    I can imagine that all these things take up a lot of power together and I was wondering if you could make most electric (fans, waterpump, fuelpump for sure, AC for instance I don't know) and power them true the battery that could be charged by a solar panel.
    My Caprice has a big roof... I don't think it is enough, but I would like to know if they are in the same ballpark.
    And if this would be possible, would it actually save fuel? The AC normally increases fuel consumption up to 10%, so maybe there are possibilities. And if it is enough, you could even think about servo controlled steering...

Just some brainwaves.....

2. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

Good brainwaves but, the car probably has a 85 amp alternator to begin with. I would imagine that if you replaced that with a 100 amp alternator you could do all those things without adding storage batterys, solar panels, the controls and AC/DC converter which all add weight. The most difficult modification you would make is the electric steering. All the other engine driven components can be replace with electrics. Maybe you could adapt the AC compressor with an electric. I don't know how readily available they are but that's how the very few electric cars have air conditioning. You will save a lot simply by changing to an electric fan and water pump. The power steering pump may be available and it too would save strain on the engine. You'd only have to drive the alternator which doesn't use to much power anyway.

Very good brainwaves.:dance:

3. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm sure you can buy the solar battery trickle chargers over there. You leave the panel on the dash and charge it up?

Well, I'm a green freak, and although you can buy a paint-like solar film, you'd be stuck on a snowy day. :)

What you could do is get an 8 inch diameter squirrel-cage blower fan, maybe 2 or 3" high and put a hood scoop to house it! PUBLIC DOMAIN now. And then run an alternator off of it. Heck you could probably use gears to get more speed at lower wind speeds (electronic control).

I think the Alternators run at 4 times engine speed (look at the crankshaft pulley and alternator pulley.) I'll bet it could be done, but mainly for highway driving.

Some big diesel truck alternators and RVs run 300 amp alternators, and some tow-trucks use them for off-road welding jobs.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  4. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Now, you guys built a monster! :evilsmile:

If Hydrogen is not a renewable gas, (which so far hasn't been confirmed or denied) And a mid-size car running on flat roads at 60 MPH only uses 12 to fifteen HP (that has been proven), then city driving is the gas guzzler scenario.

SOOO! A horizontally mounted wind generator could power the car on long trips. Two of them on the wagon roof could run a camping generator. Meanwhile in the city, you could run a cheap six for local running around.

Have a look at this Quebec company:
    http://www.windports.com/

They were $55,000 installed and could run 4 homes from wind. What's nice is they can be stacked with each additional unit powering up another 4 homes. Imagine a stripmall?

Our roofs are at least 36" wide, and for years chrysler had the AC on top. Not a long stretch to put lower profile units on a wagon roof and run the car on electric.

5. tbirdsps

Wow! you've solved the perpetual motion theory. Woohoo. A pair of wind powered generators that provide the propulsion power to the car. As long as the car is moving forward then the car has power. What a concept. The car needs wind, the car makes wind.
    :dancingparty::band::ola::party6:

Get a patent...quick.

6. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Still have to get around in the city, TBird! If they're going dual-fuel anyway, it's not a stretch to make the fuel used - dual source - Gasoline or Wind! Just lift the roof line to van-height! Make the car run on front-wheel drive on gas, and rear wheel electric drive on Wind. PUBLIC DOMAIN guys! Have at it!

Who's gonna pay crazy gas prices if they don't have to? The tourism industry would love this all along our highways and campsites, before they close down.

7. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    This could be the Lampoon SSW! :evilsmile::idea:

8. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Andy, don't throw the roof away. A double decker Fairmont with front wheel drive from some Ford compact and an electric motor driving the rear wheels on car-fetching trips to Mesa, Arizona! Kick in both motors if we're towing it back! :2_thumbs_up_-_anima:rofl2:

9. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    23 HP to run a Fairmont on batteries:
    http://www.evalbum.com/076.html

With a smaller powertrain up front, but no batteries and a 30HP electric motor?

10. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
  11. tbirdsps

For city driving you've already added 8 6 volt deep cycle batteries! The wind powers the generator and the generator charges the batteries and the second generator powers the electric motor. When the speed gets too low for the wind powered generators the batteries take over.

Simple.:thumbs2:

12. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    I just emailed Andy, and asked him not to throw the roof away. I'll bet we could apply for a grant, but the downside is the ooze from politicians looking for photo-ops.

This just might make better sense than the other options (Hydrogen, backyard biodiesel stills or ethanol stills.)

Gasoline companies get their pound of flesh on a more efficient engine, and we get to enjoy road trips for almost nothing! YES!!!!

I like your idea of running two circuits, TBird. Makes a lot of sense. Redundancy works in computer networks and this just means we keep on running like Duracell batteries. :thumbs2::2_thumbs_up_-_anima

13. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    I already mentioned this in another old thread, but a friend of my dad's owned a roadhouse/garage/restaurant on the outskirts of town. He built a custom 1955 Ford 2-door with two front ends, swivel seats and all kinds of rods, etc. so he could drive from either side! It worked too. Back then, the DOT had never considered a car like that, so he got his plates renewed every year until 1966. Then he took the power train out, changed the wheels and tires to aluminum shells and put it on top of a tall BA gasoline sign post. Stayed there until I graduated in 1975!

It was ingenious underneath. The only such car I'd ever seen. I think it had the 289 V8. or maybe a 260 V8.

Imagine a Fairmont wagon stretch with two front ends, two power/fuel sources and gullwing cargo doors on the sides? Ok, I'm dreaming, but that would be an SSSW!!! Stretched Super Station Wagon. :D

Wouldn't have to put granny on the roof, either! :D

14. tbirdsps

I'd have an electric anything right now if I could afford to convert or buy one.

15. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    I'll bet some of those big electric motors are around up here. Old, remote sawmills abound. The thing is the DC motors can be tweaked into generators. With a high roof you could mount the blades, duct them to maximize airflow (and we've got a wind tunnel here - Bristol Aerospace builds planes and jet engines here, and I've got some good contacts there.)

If I find a motor, I'll let you know. Lots of rewinders around everywhere.

Anyway, the 'gullwing' doors would have enough support to roll up in fixed tracks into the upper roof and block all the side windows or just plexi-glass them in.