High class lady gets the heart of a cop.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Leadslead, May 8, 2017.

1. Leadslead

Leadslead Well-Known Member

O.K just a little update for those interested, I pulled the engine and found out at some point she must have blown a rear main seal as there is old burnt oil and crud all over the back of the block and front of the bell housing, she was a pain to remove (more on that in another post)
    anyway shes out, ordered new seals (arf arf) and plan on replacing the rear main, oil pan gasket, front seals, and the valve cover gaskets, pretty much everything...
    I also had to order a replacement oil filter adapter since the PI engine's crankcase cooler has a different adapter for the hoses to run to the cooler...

Edit: changed a word, Thanks Andy!

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    ModelT1 likes this.
  2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

That's "Oil filter adapter."

3. ross

ross Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sounds like she's hittin' on all eight.
    I'm digging the old cop car with so much patina. I'd fix it and drive it.
    Oh, too late for that.
    Demo derby guys around here would line up for the rest of the car, even without the engine.

4. Leadslead

Well if I was going to drive it, it will need a full restoration... it has no carpet, no headliner, no front bench (it was full of bees) back seat needs to be reupholstered, a brake booster and brake master cylinder... new driver side mirror, new windsheild, need a front license plate holder... and none of the lights in the dash, inside, brake or reverse light up but the headlights do, also the horn dosent work... and that's just what I know that it needs...
    Not that I'm saying I wouldn't drive it or restore it, just saying it's a long way away from a Sunday drive lol

5. Leadslead

Ok time for a major update, life got a little busy around here, and a few quirks I had to work out.
    I pulled the engine and installed a new timing set, the original timing set that was on it was looser than crap in a goose.
    I decided while I was there to install a new rear main seal, front main seal, and new gaskets.
    I installed engine into the barge and after a few workarounds, I finally fired her up, she runs nice but has an oil pressure leak that I have to track down, I'm thinking its probably the oil pressure sender since it isn't working, or it could be the oil galley plugs, or maybe the crank seal, not entirely sure but unless I screwed the rear main seal install that's the last thing I'll check.
    Other than that she fires up, sounds great, needs a bit of tweaking on the hot idle, but I've only driven her from the garage to the driveway and back.
    I should update more when I get the chance, she should be on the road soon though!
    ETA: I also plan on restoring the Interceptor.

6. ross

ross Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Congrats on resurrecting that old lump. Sounds like it's running pretty well.
    I'm wondering if the oil you saw at the rear and your current oiling problems are related. Maybe not just the rear seal but the gallery plugs too?
    I might be interested in the filter adapter for the oil cooler as I have a 385 engine sitting on a stand waiting for a new home, ......one day.

7. Leadslead

Well two steps forward one step back... I haven't tracked down the oil leak but there is water in the oil... I have a feeling this engine sat up for a long, long time and the gaskets probably aren't doing so good...
    Guess we'll start with taking the intake off and seeing what we see... :(

8. ross

ross Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  9. Leadslead

There's water in the oil, not oil in the water... meaning the crankcase is getting water in it, that shows signs of intake gaskets leaking... now if it was oil in the coolant I'd say yeah blown head gaskets.
    Either way, more tearing into this engine, I just hope that it isn't cracked!
    (well one of us will be cracked by the time it's done :dizzy:)

10. Silvertwinkiehobo

11. Silvertwinkiehobo

Three years, and a few months later....

So, Joe got the engine top end apart, and after I got down here, we took them all to a machine shop for cleaning and inspection. Once back, we've been putting it back together, dealing with problems, but it's now together enough (and after replacing the fuel pump)for us to fire the engine off, and get it to run for at least a couple minutes! Woo Hoo! I still have things to do (dizzy vacuum, PCV line and valve, exhaust), then we can fire it up again, set timing (as dwell is already set at 30*), and top off the cooling system to run the de-rust compound through it. Wednesday, I'm heading to the J/Y to see if I can score exhaust from a '78 Grand Marquis, that I got the exhaust manifolds from.

12. Leadslead

:dizzy: I knew one of us would crack eventually!
    Yes Andrew is right she lives! Didn't think that much time had passed! Wow!

13. Silvertwinkiehobo

14. Silvertwinkiehobo

After some minor setbacks with a leaky rear main cap, and the oil pan rails, as well as leaks in the heater hoses, we finally got the car state inspected, the tabs paid for, and year of manufacture license plates on it!

wagoninsane likes this.