Help with new wheels/tires for my '68 wagon

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Ak_Eric, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Ak_Eric

Ak_Eric Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Improvements continue: While my '68 Ford Country Sedan looks great stock, I'm definitely going restomod on it, and am looking for new wheels/tires. I just no nothing about them honestly. Been years since I cared about any of this ;)

After much searching, I found exactly what I'm after as far as look/stance, etc, this:
    https://www.mecum.com/lots/DA0913-164551/1968-amc-rambler-440-station-wagon/
    And it even looks pretty close to my wagon too:
    wheels_tires.JPG
    The sites states "New 17" American Racing torque thrust wheels with new tires".
    So i know i'm looking for some 17" Torque Thrust wheels, but other than that, zip.

I've done a bunch of research on tire fitment for my car, getting info like this for stock wheels/tires:
    • Tire: 205/75-14 (664x205mm)
    • Bolt : 5x114.3 (5x4.5)
    • Offset: A couple numbers from different sties: -10 to 5 mm, -10 to 15mm (and not sure if that's for front or back)
    • Wheel Range : 15x6.0 to 20x8.5 (again, didn't specify front or back)
    But I'd really like to hear from anyone here that has first hand knowledge of something similar, based on the above pic & description, to get me some #'s that will work for my car. Having the fronts/rears the same size is fine, but a little variance wouldn't be too bad either. I'm not going to be racing this thing, but sure dig the above look.

Thoughts & opinions appreciated.

2. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That Rambler is lowered by the way. That contributes to the look.

The original tires on a 1968 Country Sedan were 8.15 x 15s. Not sure where you got the 205/75-14 number. 8.15 x 15s would be about 27.5" in diameter. 205/75-14s are only about 26.1" in diameter. Load capacity is also important; that's a heavy car.

If you must have 17" wheels, you'll want a tire size something like 225/60-17. Nearly all RWD American cars from the 1960s want wheels with about zero offset.

Ak_Eric likes this.
  3. Ak_Eric

Ak_Eric Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    I've been looking all over the web, and 2\3 different sites listed those numbers. But that's why I'm asking here... I'd rather have someone tell me than me go find some dusty forum post.
    Appreciate the info you posted above, thanks!

4. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    "The Web" is notoriously inaccurate. I suggest that when researching technical info like this, you restrict your search to factory documents like a factory service manual or sales literature. That's where I got the tire size.

Ak_Eric and Poison_Ivy like this.