Help needed with parts!!

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by mpqualdie, Dec 9, 2016.

1. mpqualdie

mpqualdie Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hello all, I am ready to start working on my 1982 CougarII wagon once again after a 4 year hiatus to move and build a house. I started street rodding my wagon in 2011 and had it shipped to SC in 2012. The headlight header panel was destroyed and the hood slightly damaged in that process. Two questions: Does anyone know if a different car hood or panel is an exact match? I was told a Granada, but the junklyard guys I know say no the Granada is the same as the Cougar sedan, which I know isn't the same. Question #2, does anyone know where one of these cars are? Has anyone seen one in a junkyard anywhere or know of one being parted out? they were only made in 1982, so finding one has been quite cumbersome, mostly because it doesn't show up on the part search listings.

2. n2fordmuscle

n2fordmuscle Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, that was a 1 year only body style for the Cougar wagon. I'm thinking you should be able to use '82 Cougar sedan parts, and possibly '82 Cougar XR7 coupe. The coupe didn't use chrome bumpers like the wagon and sedan, but I would think the header panel and hood should be the same. The '81 Cougar looks very similar, but you'll wanna do some more research. The '82 Ford Granada (and maybe the '81) also look very similar, and look like they could interchange. I'm not an expert. Maybe someone who knows for sure will chime in. Anything 83 and newer will definitely NOT work.

3. mpqualdie

mpqualdie Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    It might be easier now because I believe the Cougar II wagon was also called the Villager. When I google Villager, the cougar II wagon image pops up. Anyone know if I'm correct with this? if so, the parts locators do list the Villager

4. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It isn't a Cougar II. Just like the midsize Ford built from 1983-1986 is- not an LTD II. Someone posted a link to a Granada wagon for sale for cheap in your thread from a couple months back. They are out there. I would suggest scouring craigslist nationwide via searchtempest or some other craigslist search engine.

5. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hoods that should.........................interchange:

- '81-'82 Ford Granada (only the '81's/'82's, which is the second generation Granada, built on the 'fox' platform. The first generation Granada, '75 to '80 was a different vehicle, and the hood will not fit your Cougar.

- Obviously, any '81/'82 Mercury Cougar sedan or wagon.

Additional possibilities"
    - Don't know if a 2-door Cougar XR-7 hood from '80 - '82 will fit. Maybe yes, maybe no. Same case for the '80 - '82 Thunderbird. These cars were built on the same platform as yours, and have a lot of common parts, but I just don't know if the hoods interchange.

Here's a '81 Cougar XR-7 for reference:
    [​IMG]

I did s search for you on Car-Part.com (By the way, they show the XR-7 hood as being different)

Found the following:
    - 2 hoods at:
    Mosley Auto Salvage
    Fredonia, Kentucky
    Ph# 270.545.3907 / 800.405.3117
    Blue hood - no damage Stock # 090173 - call for price
    Brown hood - minor damage Stock # 061116 - call for price

1 hood - brown, minor damage, at:
    Strange Auto Parts
    White Pine, Tennessee
    Ph# 800.445.2091

Stock# 00090070 - $75