Help: 72 clamshell 3 seat detailing

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by Harry Clamshell, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Harry Clamshell

Harry Clamshell Well-Known Member Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    busy getting my 72 Estate Wagon ready for inspection. One of the items I never finished before was putting back the 2nd and 3rd seat seatbelts (were taken off by the previous owner).

For the 3rd seat putting them back was quite a forward job. But I'm not sure how to attach the belts for the 2nd.

Can somebody with a clamshell please make some detailed photos and post or send them?

I've looked in the 72 Fisher body manual, but the solution wasn't there.

The retractables are in place so I'm interested in how and where the belts in middle should be attached to the floor (?)

Thanks in advance

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. vtarandy

vtarandy New Member

Pull the seat bottom and there should be bolts under there.

3. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

This is true for a sedan or coupe, but not for one of these wagons. The second seat can only be removed by unbolting it from the floor.

But this is not necessary in this case. With the third seat in the "up" position, simply look at the floor immediately behind the second seat. There should be bolt locations on the floor at the 1/3 and 2/3 positions across the rear of the seat. If the bolt locations are not visible, it's possible they're under the carpet. If the carpet has been replaced but the belts never installed, you'll have to feel for the bolt hole locations and punch some small holes with an awl or similar tool.

When I replaced the carpet in my '73 Custom Cruiser, I took some photos with the seats out but before the new carpet was in. Below is a photo of the second seat area (that's the third seat at the upper right--I didn't remove it as it wasn't necessary in order to replace the carpet), and I've circled the locations of the seat belt bolt holes I'm talking about above. Two belts are attached to each bolt. At the left one (as you face forward in the car), the outboard seat female buckle and the center seat male buckle attach. At the right one, the center seat female buckle and the outboard (small) seat female buckle attach.

[​IMG]