Headliner

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by 12ozMouseBoner, Dec 2, 2017.

1. 12ozMouseBoner

12ozMouseBoner Well-Known Member

Hey dewds,

I'm replacing the headliner in my 88' colony park and need advice on how to get the headliner board out. I've unbolted everything but can't seem to move the trim railing that holds it in place by it's sides. Is there a certain position that it needs to be in in order to pop out?

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Seems to me, and I .ay be wrong so take what I say with a grain of salt, you push up on the center whe using a wide tool, like a paint spatula, to pry the board out of one side or the other.

3. 12ozMouseBoner

Figured it out, you just pull straight down, the clips will come but you greatly risk cracking the piller trim. I did mine to the both of them... Any who, I'll post pictures tomorrow, it's nothing amazing but its a hell of a lot better than before. Wont have to look at that piss coloured jute anymore lol.

ModelT1 likes this.
  4. 12ozMouseBoner

By the way hobo, would you happen to know and auto-foam manufacturers that can do custom cuts? Eventually I will have to redo this as the foam is pretty much shot and won't hold for long.

5. Silvertwinkiehobo

You buy the material already foam-backed; you use a spray-tack adhesive to adhere it to the board (after cleaning the board, of course), and trim to fit.

6. Paladin62

Paladin62 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm getting ready to put in my new headliner. I want to put some Dynamat adhesive insulation up there before I put in the headliner. The original insulation is still there. Will the Dynamat stick to the old insulation?

7. Silvertwinkiehobo

Likely not. It needs to be stuck to clean steel (or painted, for that matter).

8. Paladin62

Paladin62 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Any recommendations on which heat reduction material is better? Dynamat is the industry leader, but I see a few competitors. I just want to do the roof. I have some thicker material that I plan to use under the carpet.

9. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thank god the headliner in the 85CP is intact, but in 2009 was selling my Dad's 1983 Olds Tornado (he passed in 07)
    and headliner was falling down in a couple of places, looked at doing it myself, car was serviced here at the Cadillac dealer,
    they replaced it for $220.00 - between me figuring out how to do it and material cost - it was a no brainer for them to do it
    upload_2019-8-11_9-44-47.png

Attached Files:

10. ALFATAR

ALFATAR Active Member

I had a 78 lebaron that the headline was falling down. I took it all off. sanded it and replaced with felt.I think it cost me $15.00 or so for the material. It did not match what was there at all (it was some kind of cloth with little holes in it} but it looked just like the headliner in my pick up.No foam backing and put the glue on like it was free.