Headlight problem 89 Country Squire

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by twodresq51, Aug 24, 2014.

1. twodresq51

twodresq51 New Member

This problem just started in the last few days. If I try to turn on my headlights they don't work. Also there is A buzzing noise coming from somewhere inside the dash.
    If I push the headlight switch in A little bit they will come on, but don't stay on. this happens on auto on function also. The parking lights always come on and work fine. I'm stumped, anyone ever experience this problem. How did you fix it????:banghead3::mad:

2. whiskey runner

whiskey runner Active Member

i dont know much about these newer cars.. old cars i know the wiring like the back of my hand.. but with the buzzing coming from under the dash i was thinking maybe some headlight time delay relay or something to do with that system

3. Glide-Aways

Glide-Aways Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm not an electrician, not even a Ford guy, but I'm wondering if you might have a short somewhere in the switch's wiring..?

As for the buzzer, does your wagon have the feature where it reminds the driver to turn off the headlights once the engine is turned off and the driver's door opens? I recall of my dad's '83 CE had this feature. I mention this in the event you might be trouble shooting this with both the ignition off and the door open..?

4. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I'm not an electrician, not even a Ford guy, and don't know anything about newer cars. But my answer is to replace the headlight switch.

Also as whiskey runner mentioned I remember cars that had a warning buzzer if I left the headlights on. Have you ever had that happen before? I'd bet that's the buzzing sound happening because the switch is out and the key is off.

5. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

That buzz in the dash is the relay for the AutoLamp system not getting enough power to engage properly. When I bought the 88, I had that problem for a couple of days, and then the lights worked fine for a little. One night, ALL power to everything that is always hot cut out, and I had to drive home holding the Flash To Pass lights on. Turned out, the fusible link for the permanent hot had gone, and some bright spark had replaced it with too small a fuse, and the holder melted. I replaced it with a new holder of the correct amperage rating and the proper fuse, and no more issue. When the lights would act up, the clock would blank out, and the power locks and seat would stop working too. It could be as simple as the contacts having worn in the headlamp switch, but that is not all that common a problem. Also, if you have had the heater core replaced or any other work done that meant moving the switch or dash, check the wires at the switch. Some mechanics are too lazy to disconnect the wires, and when they get pulled, you get a bad connection. Happened to my 89, and I had to replace both the switch and the pigtail as both had melted.

JBGarner likes this.
  6. twodresq51

twodresq51 New Member

Headlight switch problem

Thanks guys, for all the help and information. I'm hoping to work on it this week end.:tiphat:

7. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

I have had to replace the headlight switch on every 60/70's Ford Product me or my Family ever owned. The 1st sign almost always was the Headlights turning themselves off when the High Beams were on for several minutes. It seems like the switch would overheat and loose the internal connection and the Head lights would go out. Then they would come back after a couple of minutes.
    If left unattended (my sisters not wanting to buy a switch) it would start acting up with the low beams on. This would start to occur when the cars were about 5 years old, or had around 80,000 miles on them.

So my vote is also for the Head Light Switch!!!!

8. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

The switches are built with an internal circuit breaker, and in most cases, the breaker trips because the internal resistance of the wear in the switch contacts jumps up the amperage to the lamp bulbs. Loose connector terminals can do the same thing, but realistically, the switch is worn and needs to be replaced. When the connector is off, look at the terminals and verify that there aren't any blackened ones.

9. patrick80

patrick80 Wagonista!

Wagon Garage:
    I had a problem with flickering lights (ALL of the lights!), and I fixed that with a new ground wire from the engine to the body, and cleaned the other grounds. So far, so good.

Yours sounds like a bad switch to me, though.

10. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    You think that's bad! Picture driving down a deserted two lane highway while driving a late model Kenworth pulling a trailer full of yeller tractor parts and have all the lights go off! They'd come back on for awhile, randomly, then go off again. It was dark out there!:yup:
    Not sure what was wrong. I believe bad headlight switches on many of the companies new Kenworths. So even a fairly new switch can be faulty. Replacing most headlight switches is not difficult and may help keep your seat clean and dry!

11. Slidemanic

Slidemanic Well-Known Member

I've had an '85, '86, '88 &'89 Ford Crown Vic/Country Squire Wagons. They all needed heavier wiring kit at the headlight switch! It was a fusible link or some such...

12. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

I have had to replace but one of the headlamp switches in all of the Fords I have had, and few have been less than 20 years old. The one that did need doing was on the 89, after I had a mechanic do the heater core. Damned fool did not disconnect the words right, and when be pulled the dash, he damaged the connection. The loose connections over heated and burned the switch and the wiring. Pain in the backside. He damaged the nrakelamo switch and pigtail at the same time. Never went back to that shop again.

13. DBdually

DBdually Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I just had a similar problem with my '88 Country Squire... Except the reverse happened. I had headlights.. No tail or parking lights. My mechanic ( old hometown guys in the no stoplight town I live in) said the headlight switch probably melted.. Very common problem on these year cars. He was right.. Quick fix. Works great now.

14. 736cc

736cc Member

How do I replace a suspect headlight switch on my 1989 Ford Country Squire? It’s not ez so far; I got the fuse panel exposed but removing the panel for the hL switch has me stuck.
    Lights are quite dim, the tail lights weren’t working sometimes (not a fuse or bulb). And what’s the switch part number? My ride has headlights delay if you turn the outer knob on or off. Plus the usual pull knob.

15. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Have you checked all of the light connection sockets for signs of corrosion? How many volts are you getting at each headlight? I would start by cleaning all of the connections (front and rear) and going from there.