Hanging out at the Top Notch this past Saturday evening.

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by 81X11, Nov 13, 2017.

1. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hanging out at the Top Notch this past Saturday evening. Check out the 5-ton truck brought out for Veteran's Day! My wagon was not the biggest thing there for once!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gotta Love the Top Notch!

[​IMG]

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

-Mike

fannie likes this.
  2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo The Lost Lamb

"Never saw nuttin' that big that didn't say 'John Deere' on it!"

That is an M-993, is it not?

3. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    All I know is it's a "5-ton Truck". The owner was really cool, and we talked a bit. He bought it on a whim, was on Craigslist, and he lives in the Suburbs....I'm guessing his neighbors love this thing sitting in his driveway. He only paid $3K for it, but had to spend $1600 on SIX used wheel/tires from an army surplus in Arizona to get it on the road. Says it'll go 65mph, and because it's registered as an antique collector vehicle, no CDL is required to drive it. Says he looks DOWN on semi trucks...this thing is HUGE!

I think he said it has a 600+cc inline 6-cyl with an Allison automatic transmission. He says you can lock it in 6-low and it's basically a tank, but in normal use it's not hard to drive. If you notice the extension on the front, this truck was basically used to push down trees previously. It had reinforcement bars that ran from the extension over the roof, but he cut those off, but left the extension platform.

I wish I'd taken a pic of the baby seat in the front passenger site. No joke! Ha!

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

I know about the surplus place in Arizona. He was on the forefront of getting these vehicles and spares back in the early Eighties when the Army base DRMOs were cranking up to dump these trucks and stuff...the freaking Pentagon never effing learn, and nobody calls it fraud, waste or abuse because the military makes some money back.

81X11 likes this.
  5. Silvertwinkiehobo

Now having said that, I wish I had land and one of those. There's an Air Force sergeant on Fullsizebronco that has the older Viet Nam-era M35 with the wrecker boom crane on it. His family uses it on their Dad's farm for everything!

6. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

That Top Notch reminds me of naughty Zesto's we used to have in the Atlanta area back in the day! Not sure if any of them ever had curb service? Course there's always the Varsity, they still have curb service downtown! Here's a foto of Mr Obama closing a few arteries at the naughty Varsity! Whaddayahave!

[​IMG]

upload_2017-11-17_11-44-53.jpeg

81X11 likes this.
  7. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    We stopped at The Varsity when I bought my 92 Olds Custom Cruiser in North Carolina and drove home to Texas. Good Stuff! Neat Place!