"GuldenRod" 72 Gran Torino Sport Delivery

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by GuldenRod, Nov 10, 2012.

1. GuldenRod

GuldenRod New Member

ok it's about time I made a project thread here of my car.
    I bought this wagon June 2012 for a Kustom conversion I wanted to build for years.I always wanted a delivery wagon of some sorts but could never find a decent project I could afford so when i got into Gram Torino's again a few years i decided it would be kool to make what Ford never did and make a delivery using the Gran Torino platform.

here is the concept drawing I made to see what it will look like
    [​IMG]

here is the car I bought to do the conversion
    [​IMG]
    Here it is after adding a set of wheels and Tires off my fastback Sport
    [​IMG]

After polishing the original factory paint
    [​IMG]

2. chevygod

chevygod Well-Known Member

I always liked that one year body style of Torino wagon, so I'm biased, but I'd leave it as a 4 door, amd add all of the Sport bits to that. But like I said, I'm biased.

Done right it'll be very cool, and a definite head turner. If you do it, make sure you do it right!

Tom

3. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sounds like an interesting project. By the way your wagon looks awesome just the way it is. :)

4. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

That is one SWEET wagon just as she is! Almost seems a shame to do irreversible modifications to such a lovely car!

5. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I once owned a red 2-door Gran Torino Wagon. Hated to trade it for a pick up to pull an RV. But we do stupid things.
    I can see that this would make a great sedan delivery conversion but it seems too nice and too rare to alter this wagon. Still, it's yours and the choice is yours to do a stupid thing. :confused::slap:

6. GuldenRod

GuldenRod New Member

well i look at it this way Gran Torino's are not bringing big money restored and often you have more money invested then you will ever be able to sell it for if the need will arise.
    yes it looks good as is but still needs restoration as it has rust issues here and there that don't show as well in the photos or are not seen because i didn't post those areas.

it may be rare the way it is but don't make it worth anymore an certainly won't get the attention that it will when i'm done. I have no plans on selling it but if I did it's worth more as a kustom then it will ever be as an original 4 door wagon.
    The doors have rust,the tailgate needs replaced, there is rust around the side glass that would require glass removal so I might as well take out the glass and weld it smooth like I want. The jambs need attention so with all that work to restore it back to original I will almost have less work by the kustom conversion as I have the parts to graft together and it will be a show winner when i'm done and I plan on seeing it in magazines which I doubt can be done as a 4 door wagon in its original state.
    better to start with a decent car then have to fix the entire car from the ground up and then have to do all the kustom work on top of that

7. 67Vista

67Vista 67Vista

72 Gran Tourino Sport Delivery

I, for one support your proposed changes because I believe that freedom of choice is something that our hobby supports. Do I like vehicles that have painstakingly been brought back to original form? Absolutely, but there has to be compelling reasons to do so, the vehicle has more value in stock form, rare as in less than twenty made,your personal preference, etc.
    In your instance, which I can totally relate, I too, had many rust issues to resolve, bought the car from an individual who misrepresented it's condition. Are there better versions of the car out there. Perhaps, but I chose to deal with those issues and at the same time, to create a one of a kind vehicle that I could enjoy, take pride in creating, and would reflect my personality. I like the direction you've chosen, and support your choice! Please show us what you are doing through snapshots, and keep this thread going.:clap:

8. chevygod

chevygod Well-Known Member

I totally agree with your thoughts and what you want to do. As I said, do it, but do it right. Not meant as a slight to you as I don't know your skills.

I know mine and know I wouldn't do it!

I also understand about doing mods on a decent, but not perfect, unloved car. I bought a 71 Mustang Fastback to save it from the crusher and modify it. Factory tach, stick, V8 car tha no one wanted and no one cared if I modded it. Fixed all of the damage to bring it to a mostly level point to start the mods, cuz rust and wrinkles are hard to work around.

Almost 18 years later, the car is still unmodded and probably more stock and intact than it has been since new.

Good luck with the project, I think it will be very cool when done. My words many posts above were what I would do, and not meant to say what you should do.

Looking forward to the project. Now get to it!

Best,
    Tom

9. GuldenRod

GuldenRod New Member

Chevygod no worries your not one who said it was a stupid thing to do.
    I may be alot of things but i'm not stupid and in fact i'm a very talented guy when it comes to cars.It will be done right as i'm a 30 year veteran in the auto body industry and been restoring cars since I started.
    I went to Tech school in my Junior and senior year of high school and in your senior year you were allowed to bring in projects to work on and I brought my grandfathers 68 Cutlass 4 door to restore. I been doing restorations from the start and worked in many shops in my career building Hot Rods and classic restorations.
    I have built many show winning cars and when I had my own restoration and kustom shop one of my builds was featured in 2 magazines for the guy I built it for.It was sold and has been in 2 more magazines by the current owner so it has been in 4 magazines total.
    Just recently a car I painted in 2005 on Christmas day at my shop in Florida was sold this year at Barrett Jackson Palm Beach auction for $83.400, it was a rare car and was numbers matching but my paint job was what made the car so nice.I totally repainted the car inside and out and detailed it all.

One of my goals when I had my own shop was to get a car featured in a magazine that I had built and I accomplished that in my first year of having my shop. Cars I have worked on in other shops have been in magazines too but the shop got the recognition,not the guys who actually built the cars for that shop and I wanted to see my name in print. I was a little disappointed cause the first magazine misspelled my last name but the following year the second one made up for it as it was cover and centerfold feature article and they used a photo of me working on the car as a progress photo and got my name mentioned 4 times.it also was on my birth month so it was a great birthday present.I have that magazine article laminated and was given to me by the guy I built it for.

I'm not trying to toot my own horn but you were wondering about my abilities so there you have it. Just to sum it up "I Got This" and I will see this car win shows and be featured in a magazine as that is another goal of mine is to have a car I own and built in a magazine. Out of the box and at it's first show I taking it to the largest Ford show in the country Carlisle Ford Nationals and I fully expect to bring home an award from that show.I'm that good and fully confident it will take home either a first, second or third place in my class. I think it will have the potential to win first place but will be happy if I take an award with it

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  10. GuldenRod

GuldenRod New Member

67vista don't worry you will watch this car as it progresses right here. I take hundreds of photos of cars I do and get step by step photos of the progress.
    Some will be in horror as I cut up an original car but when they see the progress and finished project they will be amazed at how good it is.
    I also thank you for your support as well as chevygod and any others who support what i'm doing

11. 65 2dr

65 2dr Fix 'em all -

I can understand, as I briefly considered a 'sedan delivery' look to my '65 Chevelle 2-dr wagon.
    Mostly to 'hide' the BB on a Toro transaxle, that never got done!

12. jrwscout

jrwscout New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Go for it! I am more of a fan of a custom than a stock restoration. Slice and dice it up! I could tell by your drawing that you know what you're doing. Love the way you're melding the 2 door look. Paint it red and give it a Starsky and Hutch stripe - that'll piss off an even larger group!

Same group that doesn't like Flowmaster won't like this - they're known as cranky old men.:)

13. GuldenRod

GuldenRod New Member

no red paint with white stripe,I don't like to see that on 72 or 73 2 door bodies.it was actually first done to a 75 for the TV series but the 74-76 Gran Torino share the same front end and body looks so many replicas have been made along with the 1000 LE 76 factory built cars so there is more then enough of those
    I'm not a fan of that paint scheme on any other car or model years then the 74-76 Gran Torinos

the car will remain it's original color with a twist as I will put some flake or pearl in it to make it sparkle and give it the kustom look but will have the factory color as I named the car after the color

14. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    ...as much as I like 'stock'....i say ...Fill yur Boots !!!:cheers:

sounds like it could end up quite the head turner!!

wagon luv is wagon luv !:bowdown:

15. GN300

GN300 Tipmaster G

You guys are hard on him considering all the praise to wixom with the buick.

Take some 2 door doors move the pillar back and keep going!