Gas Tank Leaks

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by rebert57, Jan 20, 2021.

1. rebert57

rebert57 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hey y'all, I have a fuel tank problem someone has had to run across. We have a 1990 Mercury Grand Marquis, 5.0 fuel injected. We had to remove tank and clean it because of its dormant time before we got it. we bought the fuel tank o-ring kit from parts store, Dorman brand. None of the o-rings provided were thick enough to replace original, so now we can't fill tank past 1/2 way. Anyone know of a larger diameter o-ring for these?

2. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Below is a list of all of the quality products made by Dorman:

RockAuto has three different lock ring kits that all come with a new seal. Might be worth checking one of those. I cannot comment on whether any of these are a larger diameter because I don't know what I am comparing it to.

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

The sealing ring 1) is not an o-ring but a square-cut ring, and 2) sometimes have a problem sitting into the keeper groove, that's stamped into the neck, properly. Compounding the problem is that when the pump/sender hanger is in place, it's almost impossible to actually see the seal ring underneath. Once the seal is correctly in place, it should properly seal. I cannot see Dorman making any seal, for a specific application, too thin to seal up. Usually, it's too large or small in overall diameter, as they're for other applications.