Former filling station in Richmond Va.

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Memorabilia & Toys' started by eshaver, Feb 9, 2010.

1. eshaver

eshaver New Member

The actual history of this tiny service station goes back to 1923. Richmond was only then just starting to emerge west onto such dirt roads as Patterson Avenue , then State route 6. If you followed Rt6 , it went all the way to Standardsville just south of Charlottesville and near Waltons Mountian too !
    Growing up near this neighbor hood has always been a treat for me as I would get a glance of all the new Pontiacs, Plymouths , and a few Fords every year . The nearby dealers were close to this station over on Broad street . It was also and for that matter considered an affuluent section of town . Today, it 's currently refered to as the Meuseuem district ".
    When the station was first erected in the spring of 1923, it was reported to have sold Conoco products . Somehow , it became a Richfield dealer in about 1938. Because both Conoco and Richfield gasolines were " Jobber orented , it makes sense that the fuels were sold by a nearby wharehouse terminal.
    The origional building measured 10 X 10 X 18 ft high at it's high point . It had a matching overhead canopy allowing motorists to take a break from the elements and allowd the attendent to fill the tank and check essensial fluids .
    Pretty much , I remember the building from the early 1950's . You still could buy a coke for a nickel by putting in a coin into a box and reaching into a bin of cold water and gently sliding the bottle over to the tiny opening.
    The services that were offered were done outdoors . That included an outdoor grease rack , unheard of today !
    [​IMG]
    Comming to a stop , eastbound on Patterson Avenue at Roseneath Rd .
    [​IMG]
    Waiting for the bus , Patterson Ave.
    [​IMG]
    If you were to stand at the corner of Kensington and Roseneath Rd , you could see cars getting serviced .
    [​IMG]
    The Roseneath Rd side .......
    Sadly , this building was condemmed in 1965 by the city . The city Fire Marshall wouldn't continue to Grandfather a wooden structure over gasoline pumps . At the same time , the local Richfield Jobber , Dennis Oil had become a Sinclair Dealer . Sinclair had owned both Richfield companies since Richfield had gone bankrupt back in 1930 . Richfield then went to operate as Richfield of California and Richfield of New York . In a very quiet move , Richfield , Sinclair and Atlantic refining were in negotiation to merge in a year ..........
    The building was then re- built not as a classy cottage seen in the model , but as a Rather " Bland Colonial revivial " with a single attached shop .
    [​IMG]
    It also became a Sinclair dealer . In 1969, the Sinclair name gave way to the English Oil company , B P oil . Somehow , this station survived as lots for competing stations were of course larger and could accomodate more cars and services . It survived untill about 1989 when it succomed to being what it is today , a Dry Cleaner Drop off point .
    Ed Shaver

2. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

Thanks so much, Ed, for sharing the history of this interesting little corner. I'm sure years ago, it was quite the social center at which to hang out and talk cars and such. Life seemed to be alot slower back then when people didn't mind taking a break from from their day's schedule while their car got serviced; now, everybody's in such a rush, hence the totally impersonal "fast lube" quick oil change places.

3. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

Great diorama. What scale is that?

4. wixom61

wixom61 Well-Known Member

Ed, it is nice for you to share this with us. Thank you.

The original wooden gas station is so wonderful, and I even like it's replacement...looks like a sweet house.
    Is this structure still there, or is there a new one for the dry cleaners?

David :)

5. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    sure wish i had your patience ED :bowdown:

very cool:yup:

6. eshaver

eshaver New Member

David , the building as pictured is still there , just as you see it . I'm refering to the Brick building . Uh Snooter , the model is 1-24th scale or 1/2 inch equals a foot . Ed Shaver