Ford Mustang was nearly turned into a family car in the 1960s

Discussion in 'Station Wagon News From Around The Web' started by wagonmaster, Nov 18, 2019.

1. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
  2. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

I'm sure, they would've had no problems selling it in foreign markets, had Mustangs there even a chance whatsoever. That one shown looks designed more in the direction of a typical "Shooting Brake".
    The four-door sedan would have sold well in Latin America

3. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
  4. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That’s what I thought when I saw it, that it had 4 doors. Did they learn nothing from the T-bird? I guess with Ford dumping all/most of their car models in the US and pinning their fortunes to Trucks, SUVs and Crossovers this was only a logical next step. It worries me when a furniture guy runs a car company. I wonder how many Mustang diehards will see a bit of the cachet of owning that model slip when they see the 2.3 kids and puppies hanging out of the rear windows. Their new sales slogan could be “This could have been your Grandfathers Mustang”. I’m sure the copyright from Olds is no longer in force. I can hardly wait till I see the 2021 GT race by me on the expressway at 115 mph with a Baby on board card in the rear window.

Doghead likes this.