Engine Shaking!!!

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by Xavier, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Xavier

Xavier Classic Goth

Gues what? ITs the KIA having an issue again! We went to the store and everything is fine. Did our shopping and when I went to start the car it had trouble starting and all the way home it was like the engine was choking and the whole car was shaking. We managed to all the way home. I turned it off, and then turned it back on. It still shook. I opened the hood and the engine was shaking front to back, the engine faces the passenger side of the car. It was acting like it was having trouble pushing itself along... Does anybody have any ideas of what could be happening?

Thank you,
    Xavier

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Bummer X, at least you got home!

I'm suspecting a broken motor mount......

3. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sounds like the timing is way off. Could be a number of things:
    Sparkplug cross over
    Impending Crank sensor failure
    Dead MAP sensor

Are you getting a "check engine light?"
    If so, you'd better have the code read before too long.

4. 65 2dr

65 2dr Fix 'em all -

Jack up the antenna, and put a new car under it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Might as well, if you dropped a cylinder!

5. NY12020

NY12020 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    You'd need the codes read. Could be anything from a bad valve, head gasket failure between cylinders, bad injector, bad spark plug, coil pack failure, misc sensors, etc

Does the exhaust smell like raw gas? If so its probably one of the more serious ones.

Good luck

Edit: been there 3 times. Sudden engine chugging, shaking and no power. 1 was a GM and a bad coilpack, the 2nd was my Saturn and head gasket failure between cyl 2 and 3, and the 3rd was my Volvo V70xc which just suddenly had a valve fail while cruising light throttle on the highway

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  6. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Since it happened so fast I'm inclined to go with Tedy's diagnosis. Although, when that front mount goes it doesn't usually shake to the degree that you are claiming unles you get on the gas or let off the gas. Yes...is there a CIL on? It could be any number of things, so, if there is a light have someone check the codes. If not, check the engine mounts.

7. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Didn't you say you had a O2 problem. If it is making it run rich could be a sparkplug. Assuming the shaking is a mis-fire.

8. Xavier

Xavier Classic Goth

Please don't hate me. The check engine light has been on for over a year. Every time I got one thing fixed another code would show up. It has needed new O2 sensors for far too long. I forgot all about one of the motor mounts having been fixed when we got it [June 18, 2010]. There was also a rattling sound. The engine would act like it was going to die but it never did. When I got up to 35 mph everything seemed to get back to mormal until about half way home. We were on the other side of the city. It took us about 15 - 20 minutes to get home. There was a burning smell that we could smell on the way home... I haven't smelled the exhaust yet but I can if you think it would help with the diagnosis. I really hope that it isn't one of the more serious things that is wrong with it. We have sunk so much money into this car and now this. The most I would get for it would be $100 - $120 in scrap because we can't just trade it in. We don't have the money for car payments and we certainly don't have the money to pay for a car even with the trade in value. Even with as cheap as the O2 sensors are on Rockauto we can't get even one of them yet... I don't know...

Edit: Zoe wants to know if it is safe to drive. I don't think it is but she will believe what you all say. I'm learning as I go along. Secondly, is there anything I should look at/for or inspect?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  9. BigBird87

BigBird87 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm going to disagree with the broken motor mount, based upon the fact that you said it had problems starting, and pushing itself along. The burning smell also leads me to believe otherwise. I definitely would check the exhaust for a strong fuel smell, and color. Can you describe the burning that you smelled on the way home? (oil, fuel, plastic, sulfur, etc.) I would not hesitate to get it scanned for codes right away. As far as a drivability issue like that, I would be disinclined to say it is safe, until the root cause(engine code) is tracked down and repaired. At the very least- driving it like that in a less than optimum manner could cause more damage and general aggravation in having to limp it along.

10. Xavier

Xavier Classic Goth

I really don't know how to explain the burning smell. It wasn't sulfury, maybe gassy. It was hard to tell because we had the windows open. I will start it in a minute and check the exhaust. Luckily there is an O'Reilly's about 5 or 6 blocks away that I can take it to tomorrow for the codes to be checked.

11. NY12020

NY12020 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Burning smell? Check your antifreeze level asap to see if its down and oil to see if that's down or milky

You never want to drive a misfiring newer car very far because it will plug up your cat-con fast if its dumping gas into it

12. Forever-27

Forever-27 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Maybe the throddle body being screwed up.

second thing it may be is the motor mounts

13. Xavier

Xavier Classic Goth

The exhaust does smell of gas. Very strongly so and the pavement had drops on it.

What does this mean?

14. NY12020

NY12020 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Means you have a cylinder that isnt firing. Either its getting too much gas and can't fire, no spark and can't fire or theres not enough compression to let it fire. That much gas dumping to be coming out and you don't want to drive it. It will melt down your cat-con and make it glow cherry red. If you have to limp it do so very slowly to keep the cat-con temp down.

If it was my car i'd pull plugs to find the wet one and run a compression test (If I had to limp it somewhere i'd unplug that ones injector connector)

Good luck

15. Xavier

Xavier Classic Goth

Unfortunately, I lack the ability to do that. Should I still get the codes checked tomorrow?