Dilemma

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Roadking41A, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Roadking41A

Roadking41A Well-Known Member

I have a problem. I found a 1970 Chevelle Concours Estate wagon, it is rough shape body wise it needs some work, the floors are not a problem since I can use floor pans from a Chevelle and order extra to cut up as needed. As far as I know it doesn't run but I am sure I can get it running, Here is the problem if I need a new gas tank they cannot be found new for a wagon, they don't exist. There are no places that will repair gas tanks in NC thanks to the EPA and insurance companies. The wagon is 3K and the owner won't come down on the price. Sorry no pictures.

Now the second choice my wife wants me to get is a 77 Camaro 350/ 4 speed car and needs a total restoration but I can get everything needed. The Camaro has no engine,transmission and no telling what it needs body wise since it is in red primer. The Camaro is 2K

2. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    So........
    You're asking, in the WAGON FORUM, whether you should buy the wagon for $3,000, or the '77 Camaro, with no engine/trans, for $2,000?

Think about that one.

Grizz and ModelT1 like this.
  3. Roadking41A

No thinking on my part I want the wagon but if my wife see's the answer she will give in.

ModelT1 likes this.
  4. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Dear Cliff's wife this is a no brainer. Everyone owns an older Camero and it needs lots of work, parts, and restoration. All of that costs money that you could use for a new Kuerig or vacuum sweeper. Maybe even dinner for two at Bob Evans.
    Cliff wants a station wagon. Station wagons are cool, roomy, and different. Different is good in today's cookie cutter world. You'll have the only station wagon in the neighborhood and all the soccer mom's will be jealous.
    Look at our old wagon below. My wife loves it and she can't even drive. My wife also loves her new coffee pot and sweeper. :racingflag:Everyone's a winner!

wagoninsane and Grizz like this.
  5. Roadking41A

Thanks that is one vote. But my wife don't drink coffee and plenty of vacuum sweepers. But she did say she could use a dog hair sweeper for the dogs

ModelT1 likes this.
  6. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    That's a start. It's a proven fact that dogs like station wagons better than Camaro's.
    Maybe drive-thru Burger King today and treat her to those 89 cent pancakes as you mention station wagons are roomier to eat in.

7. Roadking41A

Oh no a BK pancakes she will divorce me she makes homemade and not out of a box.

ModelT1 likes this.
  8. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    We tried BK pancakes last time they were on sale. I believe they are made out of a box!

Roadking41A likes this.
  9. Roadking41A

Made out of a 25lb bag. Can't wait to move back to NC and get a proper breakfast biscuit.

10. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    OK, Cliff's wife......

The Camaro isn't even a whole car yet. And a mid 70's Camaro, everybody's 'BTDT'.........

Here's what the Chevelle Concours wagon is going to look like when Cliff's done with it....

With wood:
    [​IMG]

Without wood:
    [​IMG]

I rest my case......

Grizz and Roadking41A like this.
  11. Roadking41A

2 votes for Been thinking about doing a SS wagon. The bench seat is missing so it will be easy to drop buckets seats and a console.

12. Eagle Freek

Eagle Freek Well-Known Member

How about neither and find a vehicle that is in better shape and more complete. No matter which one you buy, based on your description, you'll have way more money into them than what they'll be worth when your done.

Fat Tedy, Roadking41A and ModelT1 like this.
  13. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Correct and when Cliff's wife is happy everybody's happy!;)

Roadking41A likes this.
  14. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Life is too short to buy a rust bucket. Save your money and pay extra for a rust free car from the desert southwest. You will be much happier, and you will spend far less total money on the project. I've bought too many cheap projects and later had to buy another body shell anyway. This is ESPECIALLY true for a car that isn't well supported by the repro industry. Keep in mind the Chevelle wagons share little sheet metal with Chevelle coupes, and thus the readily available Chevelle patch panels don't work. For example, you can use the front floor patch panels, but the rear panels are four inches too short for the wagon. By the time you buy multiple sets of patch panels and hack and cut and weld, you'll be money and time ahead to just start with a better car.

101Volts, Roadking41A and Eagle Freek like this.
  15. Roadking41A

Points well taken, but I have to buy what I can afford in what I like. I don't mind the work and the body itself is straight and not rusty except a common area around the rear side glass. Most cars from NC are not too bad unless it comes from the coast.