Dash lights not working

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by dulcimerbob, May 22, 2017.

1. dulcimerbob

dulcimerbob Member

Wagon Garage:
    Have a 73 Ford Country Squire . All my lights on the dash have quit . A wiring diagram would be helpful and any advice . Thanks

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Check the dash fuse first, make sure you have power getting through the fuse, don't just look at it, then if that's good, rotate the headlamp switch knob rapidly back and forth. Is it just the instrument cluster that doesn't light up, or all the dash illumination?

3. dulcimerbob

dulcimerbob Member

Wagon Garage:
    Everything is dead , I have done the headlight switch thing , the rear dome light comes on . I am so plauged with back problems I can't reach the fuse box LOL. I'll have to find somebody to help out. Thanks Keep you posted .

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

I feel your pain. Sometimes, in order to reach Babe's fuse box, I have to lay on my back across the bench and work upside-down. Which means, I'm glad I put in tilt steering to fit my torso under the wheel.

5. dulcimerbob

dulcimerbob Member

Wagon Garage:
    I totally understand . I have this idea to relocate the fuse box to make it easier to get to . Would be nice too to have a blade type box . I have done this on old motorcycles but a car is way more complicated . Thanks to all

6. Silvertwinkiehobo

Actually, it would not be that complicated; I usually kick around ideas for adapting newer gear, systems, etc., to Babe, and I had the idea a long time ago of installing a flip-down fuse box from a Taurus/Sable/Continental under the dash.

7. dulcimerbob

dulcimerbob Member

Wagon Garage:
    Chaecked fuses using a multimeter for continuity fuses good , I will now go back and check for voltage getting to fuses . I have iced my back and now ready for another go.:)

8. Silvertwinkiehobo

*pointing at bottle of whiskey* That's the spirit!

9. dulcimerbob

dulcimerbob Member

Wagon Garage:
    Baffled , some things are working others are not. WS wipers, AC, headlights , radio working , still no instrument/dash lights . Think I'll install gauges for the idiot lights and some stick on LED strip with a switch for dash light . It's kind of a rat wagon anyway . Not a restore . :cool:

ModelT1 likes this.
  10. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

Find the fuse that says "tail lights" It was always an indication on Fords that when your dash lights didn't work, your tail lights were out.

11. Silvertwinkiehobo

Actually, by '73, the dash and taillight circuits had their own fuses. But, now that he says that a few other items aren't working also, I would look at the fusible links underhood, verify they're good, then, if things still don't power up, I'd have to say the ignition electrical switch is bad.

12. Paladin62

Paladin62 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm having a similar problem with my 60 Parkwood. One of my big issues is the wagon was re-wired before I got it, so I'm not sure if all the fuses go to the right connections. The dash lights were working at one time, but I changed out the gauges and I guess something came loose. First I had no lights at all...I pulled the light switch and found it only had three wires on it. Red, Lt Blue & brown. There s/b an orange, white and dark green...the white (ground) had been cut, I found an orange wire hanging loose, but it has constant 12v on it. No green wire at all.
    Question should the orange, Dome/Courtesy connection be constant 12v? Is the green the output to the dash lights?

Attached Files:

13. Silvertwinkiehobo

My Chilton wiring book starts at '64, so I don't think it'll be of help, but I can at least take a look later at the Chevelle and full-size Chevy diagrams, see if I can get you some answers.

14. Paladin62

Paladin62 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It seems the prior owner had some issues with the headlight switch and did a "work-around" took me all day to figure that out. I got the lights back up, but the dash lights are full blast (that was his doing). I pulled the wiring diagram off the internet...the headlight switch has been replaced with a later model one. (could be Chevelle) Gonna test it all tomorrow.

Attached Files:

• HLS.jpg
      HLS.jpg
      File size:
      7.6 KB
      Views:
  15. Silvertwinkiehobo

Ugh. A 'workaround.' But that, sad to say, is something a lot of these cars have to have just to keep functioning. I've got my '64-'68 wiring diagram book right here, so I'll take the shot and post it up.