Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by CrabSpirits, May 10, 2018.
Are you going to have to weld your own headers together or do you already have a set picked out?
They're already installed, modified Chinesium. Are you talking about the exhaust system? I have that too.
Not really. I was just wondering if you had to do-it-yourself on the headers, because of that engine getting shoehorned into that bay. But, why not. Go ahead and tell us about the exhaust, if you want. Have you done it 4 to 1 each engine bank or are you going 4-2-1?
"Chinesium" sounds ominous, like it could be the country of origin
It's the current term for cheap Red Chinese-made goodies, like tools, car parts, etc.
Too much staring at rust lately, wondering what to do. Time to break out the bonesaw.
Fabbed up a new piece for that as well.
Pulled out this old damage.
Bumpers are hard to find for these cars, but fortunately, tail lights are everywhere and cheap.
Decided to make use of all the space back here for the spare tire and upgrade my air tank to 9Gal.
The 480C compressor lives under that. Lots more rust mitigation to go before I have this thing on the ground. I'm not very pumped about fabbing/installing new wheelhouses.
Looks like you're making good progress.
Lookin good for a Chicago boy!
Test-fitted the engine/trans for like the 343rd time. I can't really communicate adequately on here just what an ordeal it's been to jam this mill in here with longtubes. This car is officially the hardest car I've ever built, just because of the constraints I placed on myself. I finally got fed up and rammed it home. Not sure if my hood will still close, but we'll just burn that bridge when we get to it. Had to rework the entire trans mount so the exhaust could go through it, and revise twice after still not clearing. Here's modification #215: notch frame rail for headers and box in/reinforce so car doesn't fold in half.
Had a rust hole through the firewall in this area, so what better place to put the Mark VIII engine harness after cutting it out and building a box around it. Cable mount under that to allow the column shift to work the 4R70W. Having that cable pass thru the wheel area isn't my favorite detail, but at least it's away from pipes hotter than the surface of the sun. Also heavy reinforcements for the '08 Explorer master cylinder and Fusion IFS upper arm mount.
More grappling with rust monster.
View of the Fusion IFS that I hopefully never have to see again. Stupid EPAS has been more trouble than it's worth to fit in such limited space. Hopefully it works for awhile before burning to death next to the hot header. When it does, I'll be ready with a hydraulic-powered version from a Mazda6 and a Nissan Versa power column. Holes at the front of the subframe bolt up to the frame rail and bumper support area.
A pic of me hating myself for not having 4link rods that adjust with removing them.
Really pleased with how this Jeep gas tank worked out. I took a guess on it, but you couldn't build one from scratch that would fit better with everything going on back here.
Not quite on the ground yet due to the axle trying to crush the exhaust, but it's getting there.
Dang Crab! You've sure gotten a lot done! Thanks for the update.
What are you going to control the electronic power steering assist with? I'm surprised they put the motor on the rack. Most of the Ford's I've worked on have the motor on the steering column in the passenger compartment. I'll take regular hydraulic power steering assist over electric any day. So much simpler, easier to diagnose, work on, and cheaper.
That rack is completely self-contained, with the torque sensor at the input shaft and all the electronics in that fat area. However it won't turn on unless supplied with a data stream from the Fusion ECU, so I have to mount that somewhere and hook up like 5 wires.
A standard power rack isn't really an option. I have no space to put a pump.
I.... live.... again.
IT'S ALIVE! ITS ALIVE!
Hey CrabSpirits, I just read the complete thread about your build (somehow slipped past my radar) I'm totally impressed with the "shoestring budget approach " of this build! Just goes to show if you have the amplitude and the resources at your disposal one can build a kick-ass custom for a little less coins! Congratulations on getting her fired up!....Longroofs Rule!