Clamshell dual exhaust

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Clamshell77h, May 30, 2018.

1. Clamshell77h

Clamshell77h Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm wanting to do a dual exhaust on my 76. Was curious if any of you have used any universal dual kits and got away with it or used one for a certain car the aftermarket world has given dual kits for. I hand made a set for my 85 Buick wagon but this one here I want to keep sleek and clean looking

2. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    There are no universal kits that won't look like crap or resonate badly. A good exhaust shop can fab you up something without too much trouble.

This is how it was done on mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the factory engineering drawing for a '71-74 with dual exhaust:

[​IMG]

Clamshell77h likes this.
  3. Clamshell77h

Clamshell77h Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the diagram! I have pondered what it would be like kicking the pipes out in front on the rear wheels but our lovely pa inspections is going to be a problem. Not because of the way it's done but because someone could burn their leg getting in and out. I ran into the same issue with the 85 which I initially ran it straight out the back and it surely looked good and sounded good but had to shorten it because it stuck outside the body too far (by 1inch)

4. Bigboats34

Bigboats34 Well-Known Member

I've seen a 76 Buick with custom duals exiting on each side. They matched the stock driver's side exit on the passenger side....however to get the passenger tailpipe at the same height, he cut about 2" off the bottom of the spare tire well.

The 71-74 factory diagram from elB is correct....from outside the car it looks like single exhaust on the driver's side.

Clamshell77h likes this.
  5. Fullsizelover

Fullsizelover Active Member

Wagon Garage:

The first thing I did when I got the car was headers with dual exhaust but I wanted them straight under the bumper.

Grizz and Clamshell77h like this.
  6. Caprice Estate

Caprice Estate Dads 74 Caprice

Wagon Garage:
    elB your dual exhaust on your clam shell looks like it was done by the same exhaust artist that did mine. My 74 was done back in 1995 and it almost looks like the day I had it done and after about 18,000 miles. It is the best thing I ever did for my 74 with better power and a super sweet sound. Sure it is not original with my 400 V-8 but I love it anyway. For those that do not know this already, only the 454 V-8 could come with duals in 1974. Cheers.