Chevelle wagons in miniature

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Memorabilia & Toys' started by Jim 68cuda, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

A fairly recent Hot Wheels 1/64 scale diecast of the 70 Chevelle wagon that I keep seeing at Toys R Us and Target, got me thinking. What other Chevelle wagons were done in miniature.
    Lindberg or AMT has had a 66 Chevelle wagon plastic model kit in 1/25 scale over recent years that can still be found in hobby shops. Before that, and dating back to the 60's, AMT had a 65 Chevelle wagon plastic model kit in 1/25 scale which has been re-issued many times over the decades. The only other Chevelle wagon I could remember was a diecast 64 Chevelle wagon in 1/43 scale by Sabra that was quite common in the late 60's and early 70's. Sabra was in Israel, but most, if not all, of its many 1/43 scale diecast cars were mid to late 60's American cars (unlike Corgi and Dinky, its closest competitors in 1/43 scale diecasts at the time).
    Nova wagons? The only one I could think of was the 63 or 64 AMT model kit in 1/25 scale that was originally released in the 60's and then re-released in the 70's. There is the plastic 62-64 Nova wagon by Bachman in N scale (in a set of several N scale autos for use with train sets,) but since it measures less than an inch long, its hardly worth mentioning.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  2. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I've got the AMT '65 Chevelle kit (unbuilt). Don't recall seeing a kit of a '66, but probably available as a aftermarket kit.

3. Jim 68cuda

The 66 Chevelle wagon kit is a more recent plastic kit that has only been available in the last few years. It came out after the newer kits for the 66 Chevelle SS hardtop and 66 El Camino kits came out, but most hobby shops carry it. I think its likely still a current kit.
    The box art shows a mild custom with two tone paint, but it appears to be buildable in stock form.

4. 73Catalina

73Catalina New Member

The best way to approach the stock form is to buy the 66 Revell El Camino kit. it has all the necessary parts to make it stock. It turns out quite nice!(y)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  5. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

I used to build 1/25th models when I was 12-13 years old back in the sixties. I still have many of them today. One of them is a 1965 ElCamino but the neat thing about it is that it had a camper top that fits on the back. I can't remember if it was AMT or not, but it probably was since most of the models I bought and built back then were AMT's.

6. FordWagonNut1979

FordWagonNut1979 New Member

About 10-15 years ago, a resin company made a 1972 Chevelle wagon. I think it was a conversion kit for the '72 2-door AMT and the MPC 1/24th scale kits. I remember seeing it in a artical in some scale model mag......I don't know if the company still is around or if they even make it.

7. jeff0547

jeff0547 Member

First, I know that this is an old thread but...

AMT also issued a 64 Chevelle wagon in 1964. The mold was destroyed to make the 65. That is why you don't see many 64's. :huh:

I was at an estate sale a number of years ago and was able to buy several old "built-up" 1/25th scale kits. One of those was a 64 Chevelle wagon with the original box in really good shape. The model was unpainted but glued together. I have since un-glued it and re-assembled (no glue)and it is still unpainted. Also, 4 or 5 years ago I bought a case of 65 Chevelle wagon kits (12). It's my favorite. (y)
    I also have a 64 Chevelle wagon in 1/43 scale by Sabra.

Last year, at a swap meet I scored a 60 Plymouth wagon and a 59 Rambler Wagon. They both remain unbuilt. :huh:

Jim, what part of VA are you from? I was born in Norfolk, Lived many years in Richmond and Lynchburg.

8. Jim 68cuda

I'm in northern Virginia just outside of Washington, D.C.
    I have the 60 Fury wagon reissued kit. I built it, painting it a two town metalic brown and white like the picture on the box. It ended up looking pretty good. There was a police version of that wagon reissued as well.
    Meanwhile, in another thread, photos are shown of the Chevelle wagon kits and promos.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009