Carb/Distributor Swap?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by TheSafariKidd, Aug 3, 2019.

1. TheSafariKidd

TheSafariKidd Member

Hi Everyone! I briefly scanned for this question so i didn't have to re-ask it but couldn't find it.
    I have a 87 Pontiac Safari Wagon with a low original mile 307 Olds engine with the Quadrajet carb.

I bought it from the original owner and he told me the first thing i should do is swap out the original carb and distributor because they are computer based?, then install a normal Quadrajet and HEI distributor.

Does this make sense and what compatible vehicle can i pull these parts from? I didn't think this wagon was computer controlled?

2. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Is it a real Quadrajet or that half-Quadrajet with the phantom secondaries? Real Quadrajets were never intended for use on such small displacement engines

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  3. TheSafariKidd

TheSafariKidd Member

Poison_Ivy thanks for that question, i just got educated Lol.
    Never knew about the "Phantom Secondaries" option.

Just took the air cleaner off and did a WOT check (not running of course) and all 4 holes open right into the intake so i believe it is a true 4bbl.

4. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
  5. TheSafariKidd

TheSafariKidd Member

OMG!, that is the ugliest carburetor i have ever seen!...well except for the late 70s and mid 80s carbs found on the Mustang II 4cyl and the 2.8L GM V6, God thoes are ugly .

6. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Really, those Motorcraft two-barrels on those Pinto fours and Cologne sixes? I didn't find them that bad. They were essentially Weber hybrids.
    The GM V-6 carbs don't ring a bell. I don't recall ever having seen one. But, I can definitely agree on that cave salamander Dualjet. That Czech hockey player could consider himself lucky, not to be having to judge between any of those carburetors anymore. He might as well be playing hockey in a cave, from now on

[​IMG]

7. TheSafariKidd

TheSafariKidd Member

Thats funny stuff! A school buddy has a BBF Foxbody Mustang with twin Predator carburetors...man they are Fugly too.

8. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Those are nicknamed "toilet" or "toilet bowl" carbs, as they have a swirling action....

Carbs, as far as aesthetics are concerned, should do a good job, as form always follows function. When a carb's function follows form, the carb is useless.

9. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    A carburetor essentially functions like a toilet of sorts. Both have a bowl, a needle-type valve and a float

[​IMG]

Certain lawnmower engines resemble toilets

[​IMG]

Certain throttle bodies resemble spitoons and are probably abused that way in secret

[​IMG]

A carburetor called "Ron's Flying Toilet" once available on a site called "Racing Junk". How does a man race his own junk against that of another man? Do they do this on a track or in a ring?

https://www.racingjunk.com/category/98/Carburetors.html?page=1

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. TheSafariKidd

TheSafariKidd Member

Wow thats some really neat information, thank you!
    The previous owner of my Safari (and original owner) said the factory carburetor that is on it, is controlled by the distributor or something like that?

Anyway he said its a "Electronic Carburetor" and there are very problematic. He suggested that i go with a normal Quadrajet and HEI distributor. My best friend has a good 850cfm Quadrajet that came off his 445 Buick and a brand new MSD distributor for a 350 Chevy which i don't know if its compatible with the Olds engines?

11. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    The main thing is to divorce the distributor from the board computer. All you need to do is to unplug the connection and then run your HEI to the ignition switch, like in the good ol' days. In other words, the engine will be either on or off, in this case.
    As far as the interchangeability between Olds and Chevies, I never bothered to compare both, despit once simultaneously owning both. If the Chevy's distributor doesen't equal the length of that from your Olds, I'm almost sure that the innards of the old distributor will not in any case adapt into the newer housing. It used to be that you could switch everything from one to another, way back then when they used points and even early solid state ignition.
    What you have to be aware of, once you get your smallest quadrajet available, is to locate the vaccum port for the distributor's vacuum advance unit. If this port is equally distant or almost to the throttle plate, you're in luck. If the port is considerably further from the plate, your engine will suffer a considerable amount of retarded timing. I've never messed with modern Quadrajets, in order to know if there are other adjacent ports for other emmissions devices. If there are indeed alternative ports of which you'll have to cap anyway, I'd use the one available which is most closely distanced to the throttle plate as is this distance in the older Quadrajets up to the end of 1967

12. TheSafariKidd

TheSafariKidd Member

Great, that way i can keep my current distributor. I'll just activate it by using a HD toggle switch.
    What i don't understand is you said "smallest Quadrajet"?

13. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Not small, in terms of exterior dimensions. But, rather the least amount of cubic feet per minute capacity, as not to overcarburet a small-displacement engine

14. TheSafariKidd

TheSafariKidd Member

Understood. Well maybe I'll just leave it as is for now and start shopping for a Olds 350 engine to tweak a little. My Uncle has a fresh 2000 Chevy 5.7L Vortec engine that has a LT4 Hot Cam Kit and a 350 turbo transmission he said he'd sell me if i ever wanted to dump the "turd" 307 as he calls it Lol.

I plan on keeping my Safari for a long time. They are unique in my opinion and hard to find.
    Hell, it holds the same payload as a compact truck (i think).

15. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    That makes much more sense than to try tweaking one of those weaklings. Even the Olds 330 used to turn in repectable quarter mile times. That, the 350 and 400 are all short-deck blocks which might mate up to the mounts of that 307.
    I couldn't find the original dragstrip video. It's probably buried somewhere on Youtube. But, this one could suffice. Supposedly, a built 330 got dropped in an '87 Cutlass