car shipping

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by Silvertwinkiehobo, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

So, Leadslead and I are buying a pair of cars in June. A friend up there owns them and is holding them for us, an '89 Colony Park (mine, I just put a large down payment on it) and a '66 Mercury 'Breezeway' sedan (Joe's).
    So our plan was for me to fly up in early June, work on the cars to get them ready, then when the boys got out of school, Joe and Ash would fly all of them up, spend a week in Western WA to see the sights, then when all was ready to go, we'd head over to Yellowstone NP, and take a week from there to drive south on US 89 to the Grand Canyon, then dash home. Well, Joe's work (Home Depot) wouldn't grant him two weeks, only four days. So we're looking into shipping at least the '66 from there to home. So far, one bid, $1750 from Gold Bar, WA to Seguin, TX on Gartho Logistics, but we wanted to hear stories, good and bad, on shipping cars, and see if there's someone more to our liking (i.e. cheepcheepcheepcheep)

2. Yeoman

Yeoman Active Member

Just for fun, you should figure out what you would pay for flights to get there, fuel, meals and accommodations if you did the road trip. You would lose out on the bragging rights to say you drove the distance and miss out on all the great family time as you made the trip but it would be interesting to see how much of the $1,750 you would spend.

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I guarantee you, excluding the car's price, Joe and the family would likely exceed that about 2/3rds of the way through their vacay. Unless Joe can get the powers that be to reverse themselves, it's likely getting shipped home.

4. Yeoman

Yeoman Active Member

Yup, I came to the same conclusion. I live in southern Ontario, Canada and bought my '58 wagon in northern Alberta, a grueling 40 hour drive, one way, if all goes well. I had it shipped for about $1,500 which I would likely have spent just getting out there, forget about the cost of the return trip.