Can,t get my wagon home!?

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by wagoninsane, Aug 10, 2021.

1. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Bought a 1964 Vista for parts two weeks ago, have been trying to get it home since. Thought it was a simple matter of renting a pickup and trailer and driving the 250 miles to pick it up, but noooo! I called 15 different rental places, could get a truck but no trailers to be had! The last place did a search and found one 50 miles away from me in the opposite direction as the location of said wagon. About to pull out the last of my already scarce hair....??....Longroofs Rule! (trying to get them home sucks)

2. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Yes it does, especially when they are non-driving parts cars. I hope you get it there soon. Good luck!

wagoninsane likes this.
  3. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Does the parts wagon run and drive? If so, rent a 20-foot box truck, and find yourself a drive-onto loading dock. Drive wagon into box truck. Drive home and reverse the procedure.

wagoninsane likes this.
  4. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

Don't any of them rent those 2 wheel, drive-on dollies that you tow? If the car has 2 good wheels and tires on it, that's all you need. Just lie and tell them you are towing a Toyota Corolla.

Don't you have any friends? Almost everyone in my county havs a pickup and trailer and it would be easy enough to borrow one.

wagoninsane and BillT like this.
  5. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Dang, that's crummy. Unfortunately I think that is a pretty common occurrence right now and not just with rental locations. It's actually kind of crazy how scarce a lot of things have become. I'd say the ideas of both Krash and HotRod are viable, but it all depends on the condition of the car you bought.
    Give us more detail on the parts car. Seems to me you've been holding out on us!

wagoninsane likes this.
  6. wagoninsane

Wagon Garage:
    That,s a great idea Marshall, but it does not cuurrently run. it does roll though!....Longroofs Rule!

7. wagoninsane

Wagon Garage:
    Of course some of the dealers told me they had car dollies available BUT the car has been sitting in the New York elements for the last 16 years! As for friends I have a few....? Most every one of them own a truck including my own 47 international BUT no hitchs.....Longroofs Rule!

8. wagoninsane

Wagon Garage:
    You hit the nail on the head about the scarcity of ALL things but NO transport trailers in all of western New York !? Yeah Orthmann I guess I have been holding out, had all intentions to fill everyone in WHEN I got the old girl home. Found it on craigslist, only posted for two hours when reached out to the owner. He advised me that it came to New York from Ventura Ca. in 2005 , was also advised that it was competely rust free when brought here! Well the last 16 years has not been, to say the least, very nice to her! The interior is roached and the floor boards literally look like Swiss cheese and the motor has not purred in the 20 plus years that the previous owner had it! That being said the condition of the frame rails and the rest of the outer body panels are in astonishing great shape! It is amazingly straight, was told never in any accidents, odometer reads 54000 was told that it's true and not rolled over! The guy said it was prestine except for the Cali. interior! This car couldn't fit in the barn with: 1955 custom Chevy shorty wagon, 1957 custom Chevy shorty wagon, 1955 completely original Pontiac Safari, 1957 completely original Pontiac Safari, 1966 Chevy Malibu custom two door wagon, 1966 Ford custom two door wagon, 1955 Olds 98 coupe and last but not least a 1956 Olds 88 coupe! WHEW!.....Longroofs Rule!

9. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

One day rental of a U-haul box truck and car hauler trailer shouldn't be too expensive. The U-haul box trucks have trailer hitches so customers can haul their household goods and their car in the same trip. Meanwhile, if you're still stuck, try calling Gary LaPlant in New Hampshire. I'm in Virginia, and he has moved both running and non-running cars for me from the midwest. If you're in New York, it might be even easier for him. His number is 603-721-6654. Might take a few tries before he picks up. You might try texting as well. Don't think he checks voice mail.

Steve-E-D and wagoninsane like this.
  10. wagoninsane

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the lead Jim, have just about tried all other avenues so I may be giving him a call.....Longroofs Rule!

Jim 68cuda likes this.
  11. wagoninsane

Wagon Garage:
    UPDATE! Thanks to the great lead from Jim 68cuda I have secured a transport for the wagon! Should have it here by the end of next week. A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU JIM!....Longroofs Rule!

Timmayy, 101Volts, 60Mercman and 3 others like this.
  12. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Whoo-hoo, that's awesome! Wagon people helping wagon people!

Now, WagonInsane, for our standard, standing line - "When it gets there, post some picture when you can. We all LOVE pictures!" :)

101Volts likes this.
  13. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

That's fantastic news WagonInsane! Looking forward to the "it's home safe and sound" photos.

101Volts likes this.
  14. Darcane

Darcane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I've been having more and more problems renting trailers from U-haul. They keep increasing their minimum requirements for a tow rig. The last time I tried to rent one, they pissed me off so much that I bought a new trailer the same day.

Glad you managed to get transport figured out.

15. wagoninsane

Wagon Garage:
    I had found a trailer to use, Uhaul was where I was going to rent a truck, was asking them about a 3/4 ton, they asked me to bring the trailer in so they could inspect it. The dealer being 30 miles away, I advised them that I NEEDED a truck to tow it and how I was to get it there for them to see? The response....? NOT OUR PROBLEM....Really!?.....Longroofs Rule!