California trip advise

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by Senri, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hi guys,

Let me start by wishing everyone a happy new year!

It has been a long time since I posted something here, but as I am still wagon less (which could be a lot longer with the changed tax rules here in Holland), I have been more a reader and less of a writer.

Anyway, I hope you can give me some advise. In 10 days I will be in Sacramento for business. As I rarely come to the States, I (with a colleague) have added some personal days to the trip. So we will be arriving in Sacramento on Saturday the 18th and I have to start working on Tuesday the 21st in Sacramento. We will drive to San Francisco on Saturday. We have half a plan to visit the Northern national park on Sunday and then drive south on highway one and see were it brings us. We have to drive back somewhere on Monday to be in Sacramento in the evening.

We have 2 questions. First, does anyone know how to get a bit of different (hire)car? We certainly have not won the lottery, so price is an issue, but being in the States, I rather not drive a Corolla! I don't hope for a classic, but rather have a Crown Vic, if you know what I mean.
    Second, any tips one were to go in those two days? Things we definitely should see and what not?

Any tips are really appreciated!

Cheers,
    Henri

2. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

I think most of the larger car rental companies, like Hertz, Thrifty, Avis, Alamo, Dollar, or Enterprise, offer cars like Chargers and Challengers or Mustangs, and if not those, then at least Camaros. I don't think Ford makes the Crown Vics any more. Check the rental company's website for availability and prices. If you want something specific, you'll likely need to reserve it ahead of time.

3. dmfconsult

dmfconsult Well-Known Member

We go to the San Francisco area often, and last time we were there, we were able to get a good deal through Budget. The key was we rented from a location in Pleasanton rather than from a location near the airport or other touristy location. We paid $156 for a 6 day rental of a Toyota Venza which is a mid-sized SUV. I think it had unlimited mileage too. My wife tells me we had to reserve that using our Costco membership.

Make sure you get down at least as far as Monterey and Carmel when you go down Hwy 1, definitely worth the trip!

:cheers:

4. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    You may be able to get a good deal @ http://www.priceline.com/ Only problem is that you may not have a great selection of cars to choose from.

5. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I do have a tip for you. When you rent your car read the fine print of the contract and make sure you return it to an agent and recieve the post rental inspection.
    Kristen Cockerill returned her rental car on time, put the keys in the drop box as she was instructed by the rental company. But the car was stolen, as per there policy she was on the hook for the cost of the car...$47,000.00 Cdn. It did have a happy ending but she had a few stressfull days wondering what to do. I never knew this policy was in place did you guys? Maybe it's different in other countries???

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...-with-woman-on-hook-for-47k-mustang-1.2483207

Good to see you posting. Hope you enjoy your days in the U.S.A. and your rental car

6. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for your replies anyone! We had a look for some specials but that is way too expensive, so we will be renting a "charger-class" car. That will certainly be fun for us Europeans! Alamo is quoting 99 dollars for 2 days with unlimited miles, so that is ok.
    We have booked a hotel in China town SF and will doing the road trip the days after down hwy1 and we certainly go beyond Monterey!

Again thanks and I will try to stay more in touch.

7. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
  8. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage: