Buick will go sedan-free by killing the Regal after 2020

Discussion in 'Station Wagon News From Around The Web' started by wagonmaster, Dec 4, 2019.

1. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
  2. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

I think it won't be long before Buick goes U.S.-free.

3. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That would be a travesty. Buick has some really nice looking sedans.

4. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

If only people would buy them.

5. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah I guess we live in a pick up truck, SUV, and cross over world. Wonder what they’ll rush to when gas is back up over $4.00

6. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

7. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

That might depend on tariff policies of a future administration. If current policies get reversed someday, we will not only have to live with outsourcing of labor and the importing of individual components. We could even expect the entire vehicle to get built there. With all automotive production moved elsewhere, it'll be interesting to see who still has a job left that covers the cost of a car.
    After 2020, you could still get the vehicle pictured in the Opel version which sells pretty good in Europe

60Mercman likes this.
  8. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Buick has been a popular brand in China since 1930, where one out of six cars in China were Buick’s. In 1999 Buick Shanghai started creating a whole new series of Buick’s exclusively for that market. They have been China’s best selling car since 2013. I would hope the powers that be at GM would keep Buick as a transitional car in the US food chain, especially in light of the tariff situation. I guess the wisdom would be, you go from Chevrolet right to Cadillac. I think that GM would find a market that might move from Chevrolet to other non GM products. I was just at the Phoenix auto show this last weekend. The showstoppers were the new Genesis 90, starting at $75,000, a very competent Lincoln, and Cadillac slayer at 75 to 80% of the list price of those other brands. The luxury Kia was also a very nice offering. The new Hyundai Sonata was also a very well refined car starting at $33,000. Getting into the Luxury, $98,000 Cadillac Sedan was a huge let down next to the tricked out, and well appointed Genesis. GM luxury brands, and even Lincoln to a lesser extent should get their heads out of their collective asses. I don’t think there is a Sedan buyer shortage. People just don’t want their sedans.

Doghead likes this.