Brake upgrades

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by 13ozMouseBoner, Sep 9, 2019.

1. 13ozMouseBoner

13ozMouseBoner New Member

Hello,

Im looking for guidance on upgrading my braking system. The car that will be receiving the surgery is a 1988 Grand Marquis Colony Park. Im having the engine bored .30 over, it will make no more than 400 horses and has an m5r2 ready to go in.

I heard from a few people that the thunderbird supercoupe calipers will fit and that the 8.8 rear can use a sc caliper conversion kit. Is this true? If not, what will work? Im not looking to spend an insane amount as this project will be a daily and will never see a track. Also, Im not sure if this will help, but the rear gearing will be 3.55 with traclock.

Thanks

2. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    There is nothing special about the early SuperCoupe brakes front or rear. Starting in '92 all Crown Vics and Grand Marquis had rear discs. Any '92='97 rear end will swap right into your car. The front brakes on these aren't terrible. If you want to upgrade your front suspension to aero specs you can also go with the aero front brakes, but I don't know if the gains are worth it, but they are easier to service in my opinion.

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I agree. The only other upgrades you'd need/want is the '92-'97 master cylinder, to match the newly-installed front and rear disc brakes, and a hydroboost that replaces the vacuum booster. Also, remember that the parking brake setup is shoes inside the rear disc hub, and since you're swapping to a manual trans, you will need to make the actuating cables work with the main cable.