Bodywork on a 68 mopar bbody wagon

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by GreatWhite68, Nov 17, 2021.

1. GreatWhite68

GreatWhite68 New Member

Hi guys,

I just introduced myself.
    I purchased a 1968 plymouth belvedere wagon this year. I want to begin with the bodywork this winter. I don’t want to do a complete restoration, this will be just removing rust, preserving and painting the bad spots.
    I guess this will be a massive challenge since there is no replacement sheetmetal at all. Does anyone have some sources of parts? I live in germany so getting old and used junk is almost impossible.
    I know there is bondo on the car, right under the rear wheel arch and in the section behind it in direction of the tailgate on both sides. Some spots on the side skirts and doors are also treated with bondo but I don‘t worry about that too much for now.
    I don‘t know if there is much more but I guess I‘ll be better off asuming it‘s worse than it looks.
    Did anyone here do bodywork on those cars and maybe have some tips and information about it? I couldn‘t find much with the searching functionon on here but maybe I‘m dumb lol.

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and greetings from germany.

2. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Wow, that sounds like an ambitious undertaking, but one that in the end you won't regret. There are a few folks here that have backgrounds in metal work and fabrication as well as paint and body work. And the other Mopar guys will probably have some helpful insights as well. I'm sure you'll find lots of helpful folks willing to answer your questions.

3. Wagonrodder

Wagonrodder Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Depending on the area of the car sometimes you just have to make your own patch panels form fitting them best you can, and welding them in...you will get better as you go..I always keep an old body panel like a fender or what ever off any old car to cut peices out of to make them, get yourself a MIG panel welder and some body work dollies and get to work! finish off with a light coat of the bondo...I recommend the Eastwood company for your supplies...they have most everything, try googling automotive body patch panel installation on youtube as well...and dont forget to show us your progress.....
    P.S. there are liquids you can use to neutralize the rust as well...an area that doesnt really show can use a product called POR15 that works really well, and theres a product (and others like it) called rust mort you can use in the areas your welding the patch panels in to to prevent the rust from coming back..

4. 69plywgn

69plywgn Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. I had a '69 Belvedere wagon. I currently have a '62 Plymouth Savoy wagon. 1969 PLY. 016.jpg PB070088.JPG I don't do bodywork. From the rear doors back, new or reproduction sheet metal parts are typically not available due to the low demand. Some interior, exterior, and mechanical parts from a four-door sedan will interchange.

Used Parts:
    www.stephensperformance.com
    www.wildcatmopars.com
    www.tonysparts.com
    www.nationalmoparts.com
    www.dvap.com
    www.mooresautosalvage.com
    www.kramerauto.com

Other forums for parts, service, repair info.:
    www.forbbodiesonly.com (highly recommended)
    www.moparts.com
    www.mymopar.com

Auto Metal Direct, www.autometaldirect.com, may have some other reproduction parts you need.

OrthmannJ and Wagonrodder like this.
  5. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Nice 62!