Bit by bad brakes brotha! 1965 Colony Park

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by TujungaKid, Apr 4, 2018.

1. TujungaKid

TujungaKid Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    My '65 Colony Park started having front brake problems so I pulled the drums. I discovered a seal had gone bad and grease ruined the brake shoes on one side. I took the drums down to a reputable brake shop to discover one bad drum and one with life. I was then told that the drums are obsolete. He advised me to stay away from Chinese crap. Fortunately he was able to locate an NOS drum for me but it cost! When I picked up the drums I inquired about rear drums and was informed those are also obsolete but are the same size as the car (the fronts are bigger on the wagon). I'm wondering if after market drums are available and if anyone has experience with wear and tear, longevity, quality etc. Thanks.

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Might be a good time to update to front discs, if you're gonna be mining Unobtainium. Trying to source anything may come down to googling "obsolete ford brake parts."

3. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    It might be a good idea to update all fours to discs. Nobody likes to be renewing an entire obsolete-drummed brake system while simultaneously end up holding the last OEM drum available on the planet
    35 years ago, it was south of the border crap. I once lost a job, because the brand new rotor I was milling didn't machine straight, until it was too thin beyond tolerances. Instead of stocking the more expensive domestic ones, the young boss thought he could get rich, through offing El Cheapos onto his customers. I was kind of glad, though. He and his shop sucked